Religiosity Plummets In Ireland And Declines Worldwide; Atheism On The Rise

Religiosity Plummets In Ireland And Declines Worldwide; Atheism On ...

A new poll from WIN-Gallup International reports a 22 percent drop in religiosity in Ireland, from 69 to 47 percent, over the past 7 years since the groups last poll. It doesn't stop there either. Globally the decline is from 68 to 59 percent with the sharpest decline coming from Vietnam, 53 to 30 percent. Of course, those self identifying as atheists also rose, globally from 4 to 7 percent.

Views: 227

Replies to This Discussion

Cool!  I wonder if the abuses via Catholic priest, bishops, and pope, were the last straw for many Irish.  They actually looked at what happened and it had an effect.

Absolutely the abuse in Ireland are a big factor. Not sure what the deal is with Vietnam though.

Globally though, access to the internet has to be the biggest factor. Sunshine and a free flow of information are wonderful disinfectants.

Yeah well despite all this, most religious American trust about as much as they trust sex offenders.  On the other hand, that means they trust us as much as they'd trust a catholic priest.

Anyway, this means that if things don't work out here in America, I'm moving to Ireland.

I have to wonder:

Is it possible that, since Ireland was so deeply immersed in catholicism, that their break with catholicism after the child abuse scandal could be more radical and more thorough BECAUSE the involvement was so deep and the shock from the scandal equally so?  Could we be looking at a countrywide case of "Oh, SNAP!"?

Yeah, I'm rambling here ... but still, I wonder...

Makes sense.  And maybe we have so many different religions, all in competition with each other, that the abuses are spread more thinly.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service