Preacher now says end of the world will happen in 5 months (CNN)

Harold Camping is sticking to his apocalyptic guns.

In his first radio broadcast since his doomsday prediction failed to pan out in a spectacularly public fashion, the California preacher insisted his was an error of interpretation, not fact.

What's more, he has another calculation for the day the world will end - October 21, 2011.

Camping had kept a low-profile since Saturday, the day he had forecast for the return of Jesus Christ to Earth. He and his devoted followers have been warning for months that on May 21, a select 2% to 3% of the world's population would be taken to heaven. Those left behind would face months of tribulation before perishing in the Earth's destruction, which Camping said would happen on October 21.

This is the basis for his new prediction, which Camping claims is not new at all. He told listeners on his Family Radio broadcast Monday that God is "loving and merciful," and had decided not to punish the humanity with five months of destruction.

But he maintains that the end of the world is still coming.

"We've always said October 21 was the day," Camping said during his show. "The only thing we didn't understand was the spirituality of May 21. We're seeing this as a spiritual thing happening rather than a physical thing happening. The timing, the structure, the proofs, none of that has changed at all."

However, Camping said his group would not be mounting another advertising push. In the months leading up to May 21, Family Radio billboards popped up across the country, warning that the end was near.

"We're not going to be passing out tracts," Camping said. "We're not going to put up any more billboards. We're not going to be advertising in any way. The world has been warned. We did our little share and the media picked it up. But now the world has been told, it's under judgment."

Camping founded Family Radio, a nonprofit Christian radio network based in Oakland, California, with about 65 stations across the country, in 1958. It received $80 million in contributions between 2005 and 2009.

Read the rest here.

=======================================

What is this?  Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me THREE times, shame on ... WHO?!?  WHY does this moron continue to garner attention after two well-publicized gaffes?  Harold Camping should be IGNORED (not that he will be at this point).  He's had his 15 minutes of fame and came up utterly empty.  Can we get our attention back onto more important issues like the situation in AFPAK and the devastation in Joplin, Missouri?

Tags: Armageddon, Harold Camping, end of the world, prediction

Views: 35

Replies to This Discussion

You beat me to it by 8 minutes!  Damn!

What can I say?  I stumbled onto the story on CNN this AM and couldn't resist!  I just wonder what BS this guy is going to pull out of his tailbone in October when his prediction comes a cropper yet again ... and if the media can finally learn that he simply is not worth their time.
The media learn what?  He makes them money, of course he's worth their time! 

The only thing we didn't understand was the spirituality of May 21. We're seeing this as a spiritual thing happening rather than a physical thing happening.

What the fuck does that even mean?

Christ, so we've got to do this again in October?

And how much does anyone want to bet that after October 21st, he'll suddenly realize that there is no year zero, which will put his predictions from this year right on course for May 21st and October 21st of 2012?

Actually, by his own calculations his already late.  Wasn't the Crucifixion in 29 and not 33?

Can't remember for sure.  How far off is our calendar, supposedly?

... not that anything in the Bible is accurate enough to get a fix on which year certain events supposedly happened.

Seems to me Heinlein referred to this little calender faux pas in Job: A Comedy of Justice, with something to the effect of "Jesus was born four years before Jesus was born" - a Yogi-ism if ever I heard one!

If I have some time today, I'll page through Job and see if I can find the exact quote.

Wasn't that somewhere during one of his conversations with Satan, either before or after the apocalypse?  I want to say it was during the stay at his house, in Texas.

Turns out that Alexander Hergensheimer (a.k.a. Alex Graham) ponders this problem while engaged in washing dishes in Mexico:

"...because Jesus was born in Bethlehem on Christmas Day

year 5 B. C.

"Every educated person knows this and almost no one ever thinks about it.

"How could the greatest event in all history, the birth of our Lord Incarnate, have been misdated by five years?  Incredible!

"Very easily.  A sixth-century monk made a mistake in arithmetic.  Our present dating ('Anno Domini') was not used until centuries after Christ was born.  Anyone who has ever tried to decipher on a cornerstone a date written in Roman numerals can symahize with the error of Brother Dionysius Exiguus."

I should mention that the above is credited to Heinlein, Robert A, Job, A Comedy of Justice, Del Rey Books, 1984, p. 126.

Heinlein goes on a bit before coming up with his wonderful "Irishism" as he calls it that "Christ was born five years before Christ was born."

And if I take ol' Bob at his word, it's because he was notorious for researching such stuff THOROUGHLY, at least as thoroughly as he worked out orbits between planets in some of his other novels.

Yeah, he was one twisted dude, but he wrote great science-fiction.

Hmm, I should read that again.  It's been 4 or 5 years.

Heinlein had some very negative views on religion.  And a lot of it showed up in his novels and short stories, Stranger in a Strange Land for one.
Very true, Jim.  If Bob wasn't an atheist, you could darn well fool me, particularly considering both Stranger and Job.  I'm gearing up to read Part One of his biography, and I'll be interested to see what part religion did or did not play in his upbringing.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service