Pope blames atheists for destruction of the global environment

Is it not true that inconsiderate use of creation begins where God is marginalized or also where his existence is denied? If the human creature's relationship with the Creator weakens, matter is reduced to egoistic possession, man becomes the "final authority," and the objective of existence is reduced to a feverish race to possess the most possible.

Is it not true that inconsiderate use of creation begins where God is marginalized or also where his existence is denied? If the human creature's relationship with the Creator weakens, matter is reduced to egoistic possession, man becomes the "final authority," and the objective of existence is reduced to a feverish race to possess the most possible.

[More...]

Views: 15

Replies to This Discussion

Damn what a shitty pope. How is blaming atheists for the problems supposed to get the faithful to be more environmentally friendly? I mean, it isn't like they are the problem according to the Pope, so why should they change?

F*ck the Pope.

Oh and:

Is it not true that inconsiderate use of creation begins where God is marginalized or also where his existence is denied?
- No it isn't true. Inconsiderate use of "creation" began with the "Lord" making it for us and gave us dominion over everything. Tell people that, and they think they have the right to do whatever they want. How many atheists does he really think are against environmental initiatives?
Wow, who'd have guess the pope would lie?
I'd rate the progressist John XXIII higher than John Paul II, if only for launching Vatican II.

And there's no question that John XX was the greatest pope in history. :-P
the leader of any large, global institution's number one priority is always the growth and standing of that institution. it's to be expected that he would lay claims on any organization or group of individuals that sought to minimize the influence or impact the profits of the catholic church hustle. it's to be expected. from covering up child molesters, to advocating what amounts to death sentences for africans by his stance on condoms... the pope and the catholic church are not in the business of what's in the interest of humankind, they're in the business of control, manipulation, and the making of money off of the weak-minded sheep in society.
Wait, I thought global warming was a leftist conspiracy.

Global warming is an inevitable outcome of second law of thermodynamics. It is just pure physics. The entropy (the measure of disorder) has overall tendency to grow. The fact that human race according to its nature is constantly working in direction of creating more and more comfortable living conditions (better houses, better transportation, easier ways to acquire goods and foods) seems to mean that we are escaping the second law locally by gradually and steadily decreasing entropy in the environment that surrounds us.

But the second law says (and nobody can argue on this account) that the more order we create in one place the more mess will pile up somewhere else. The question is where and when?

Global warming has the answer to that question: right here, right now. May be just a little bit farther from you so that you can't see it from your window.

How is that for leftist conspiracy?

I am OUTRAGED! THE SHEER GALL OF THE MAN.

The teachings of the catholic church are, IMO, a major contributor to environmental destruction. To tell people for generations that it's their express duty to keep popping out kids regardless of population pressures and then to compound the problem by telling them they have dominion over the land and every creature on it - well, it's hardly a blueprint for good responsible stewardship is it?

Everything Ratzinger says is steeped in hypocrisy, but this one is about as brazen as you could get.

BTW, have I entered a time warp? Joe, Grogan, Aiden - haven't seen any of you guys on this forum for quite a while, and then you all turn up in one thread. I thought Joe had dropped off the face of the planet. Nice to know you're all still around.

It's not the gall. its physics.

> telling them they have dominion over the land and every creature on it - well, it's hardly a blueprint for good responsible stewardship is it?

Completely agree. Scriptures are transparently clear about the nature: it has to be eaten by man. It's our supply and nothing else. Man therefore is not the part of the nature. This logical conclusion from the scriptures is extremely intimidating since religion is being more and more pushed into the school programs. What children are going to make up with it I have no idea. Surely they are not going to become more deferential to the environmental problems.

Yes it is so frustrating that the church fights against birth control so stoically. I'm trying to understand motivations for doing this but I fail. More children - larger congregation? Can it be that bad? Or is it just the dully following the scripture's instruction "spread and multiply"?

What ecology can be in this circumstances? Pop goes to Africa to personally ban condoms and he expects that the eleventh child in that beggar family will come to being with bright environment-friendly ideas in his head? Especially when it is clear that the country the baby is born to is not able to provide any good education. Is there at least a shred of common sense in doing this? For me these all is just some mother theresa kind of crap.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service