Politicians Pandering: "God calling on me to run" Where are they now?

This must be that "trikster god" I keep hearing about:

Herman Cain:

"I prayed and prayed and prayed," Cain told about 100 members of the Georgia Young Republicans in Atlanta on Saturday. "I'm a man of faith, I had to do a lot of praying for this one, more praying than I'd ever done before in my life. And when I finally realized that it was God saying that this is what I needed to do, I was like Moses. 'You've got the wrong man, Lord. Are you sure?'"

Yeah, god wanted a good laugh at your expense, Herman. To be fair, for every god that wanted you to fail, I'm sure there were thousands of gods who wanted you to succeed.

Where is he now? Dropped out of the race and wants to be the next secretary of defense.

Michelle Bachmannnnnnnnnnn:

Before the primaries:

"If I felt that's what the Lord was calling me to do, I would do it," she answered. "When I have sensed that the Lord is calling me to do something, I've said yes to it. But I will not seek a higher office if God is not calling me to do it. That's really my standard.

"If I am called to serve in that realm I would serve," she concluded, "but if I am not called, I wouldn't do it."

A few months later...

“I am a Christian as is my husband. I became a Christian at 16 years old, I gave my heart to Jesus Christ and since that time I’ve been a person of prayer.
When I pray, I pray believing that God will speak to me and give me an answer to that prayer, and so that’s what a calling is. If I pray, a calling means that I have a sense from God which direction I’m supposed to go.
It means I have a sense of assurance about the direction I think that God is speaking into my heart that I should go.”

While a bit noncommittal, it is generally believed that she thinks that the xtian god wants her to run for the presidency. Again, perhaps just for laughs...

Where is she now? Perilously close to zero support in the US (that trajectory matching her finances) and she recently lost her Iowa chairman to Ron Paul. This god wanted her to run...so she would fail? Sneaky, trickster god...

Ricky Perry:

National Journal:

“That’s God’s will,” Perry told a reporter when asked if there was any outcome on Tuesday that would cause him to end his presidential bid. “There might be an outcome that he decides that I wouldn’t go on.” But he’s hoping that the big man will be there for him on Jan. 3. When asked by the same reporter if God was caucusing, Perry responded, “Pretty sure He will be.”

It will be god's will if he gets in, and god's will if he doesn't. This god will want him for some specific deed like requiring women to license their reproductive systems to the state (not the federal government, mind you - it's too big to manage the uterine databases which must be built to assign the correct conservative clothing to the appropriate uteruses).

Where is he now? Fourth or fifth in most polling. Still the governor of Texas. Still praying for rain. And the most transparent panderer in the republican slate.

The other wackos with religious intent?

Ricky Santorum: His time in the limelight as the latest non-Romney. Still a dick.

In case you missed it: Joe the Plumber is in god's pocket, too.

Here's a good article along the lines of this post. Here's another.

Tags: bachmann, god, pander, perry, presidency, republican, santorum

Views: 51

Replies to This Discussion

Essentially, what we are seeing in American politics are people who would be committed as delusional psychopaths if they were having a two way conversation with any other imaginary figure besides "god", running for office. Awesome.

The man who doesn't even know what is going on in Syria want to be Secretary of Defense?

You're absolutely right, Jeremy. To paraphrase Sam Harris. If someone is talking to a hairdryer and claiming they are speaking to god through it, and god is answering them through this device, they're off to a mental hospital. Take away the hair dryer, and this is the exact same thing many Americans do every Sunday morning.

And, these morons actually stand a chance of being in charge of the US nuclear arsenal!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service