'Oral sex' definition prompts school district to pull dictionaries

A school district in Riverside County has pulled the Merriam-Webster's 10th edition dictionary from school shelves because it includes the term "oral sex."

The Menifee Union School District took the action last week after a parent complained about the dictionary.

The Press-Enterprise reported that some parents are angry about the move and want the dictionaries returned to classrooms.

We need to start making complaints about the adult content in bibles.  

Tags: dictionary, obscenity

Views: 12

Replies to This Discussion

bullshit.
Which bit? The story, their action, my comment... ?
You beat me to it Luke ... I was just about to post this but thought I should check for other discussions just one more time. ;-)

While the story doesn't mention any religious motivation, I think we can all follow this concept to it's conclusion. Not a very long journey at all.

What I can't get over is that this isn't in Texas or the deep South where we'd expect, but in Southern California of all places!
At least they admit they have no lives. Seriously? They will read the whole dictionary looking for objectionable content?
I did that with the dictionary and encyclopedia. If kids are curious, they'll find a way to learn about it. The alternative is to hear about this word "oral sex" and not know what it is. Is it so important to make sure kids don't find out the definition to words they're hearing and wondering about? Sheltering kids doesn't do any good.
"he" only? Well, isn't that dictionary naive!
Shoulda checked out "fellator" as well!!!
Oh, so they pull the book so that:

• The kids won't learn about oral sex or
  • There will be NO oral sex at all?!?

I'd ask if these idiot-children are bothering to THINK at all ... but yes, I realize I'm using an inappropriate word here.
The kids aren't the idiots. Although they might come up with some other definition. When I first heard "oral sex" I was confused...was it when mouths "had sex" with each other (like French kissing?)
Sorry, by "idiot-children" I was referring to the ADULTS ... who mostly aren't acting much like adults! More like scared little kids ... who may be less mature than the kids they're attempting to protect!
Oh yes, we need to keep our children as ignorant as possible for as long as possible. That's always been a good policy (please note intended sarcasm).
If that's policy, it ain't working. They're already smarter at computers than most adults are! Gives to ask: what ELSE do they know more about?!?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service