"There is no heaven; it's a fairy story," says Stephen Hawking. In an interview published in the Guardian on May 15, the renowned physicist said he does not fear death and dismissed the notion that there is life after it:

"I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years. I'm not afraid of death, but I'm in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first. I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

More here.

Tags: Heaven, Stephen Hawking, atheist

Views: 25

Replies to This Discussion

The Hawk's comments should take a bit of the "strident" heat of The Dawk.
It's such a pleasure to hear people of high repute telling it like it is. Most waste their lives avoiding "controversy" and talking trash for career advantage.
Actually, nowadays, talking trash does give them a career advantage, with the current atheist movement in the US.  It's all about momentum.  Once you get the thing moving, others pop up and apply force to keep it going, because it's suddenly safe to do so.
Yes, it looks like we're near a tipping point. If another one or two other well-known figures added to the conversation started by Hawking and Dawkins, we could be on a roll.
I'm working on it; I'm working on it.
they had that quote up on CNN and had people tweet in what they thought. and the guy read some comments out load on the air! damn.. i could of gone to tweeter if i wantted to

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service