The Orwellian-named "National Organization for Marriage", who are campaigning big-time against marriage except for heterosexual couples, earlier attempted to influence Starbucks at their shareholders meeting, to take back Starbuck's support for marriage equality.  So NOM called for a boycott of Starbucks.  At that time, about 25,000 people signed on (how many of them non-coffee drinking Mormons?  How many others drank Starbucks?) while a pro-starbucks effort garnered 280,000 signatures.  And Starbucks stock increased in value.

NOM's response:  internationalize their "dump starbucks" campaign into Arab and Muslim areas, as well as some other countries.  I'm not sure, but I think they have to have been owners of Starbucks stock in  order to speak at the Shareholder's' meeting - so they bought stock to influence the company and are now trying to degrade the value of the stock - but if they sell it, they will profit.  Regardless - NOM is attempting to undermine the success of an American company, both in the US and internationally, because the company would not cave to their religious agenda.

"DumpStarbucks.com online ads will also start running in Egypt, Beijing, Hong Kong, the Yunnan region of China, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Oman and Kuwait."  Aggressive, aren't they?

Not sure why they focused on Yunnan - a highly religiously and ethnically diverse region of China - I found the following info on Yunnan (sorry can't link to the PDF):  "Family structure:  Marriage rules vary tremendously among nationalities. In addition to the norm of monogamy (one man being married to one woman), other traditions have also prevailed, including polygamy (the marriage of one man to two or more women), polyandry (the marriage of one woman to two or more men), and even “group” marriage (with no marriage form but people would live in a state of promiscuity, i.e., having sexual relationship with many people). Ever since the 1950s, due essentially to the increasing influences of Han Chinese and governmental policies, however, monogamy has gradually been adopted as the norm."  NOM can hardly promote "one man:one woman" as the eons-old norm in a place that basically adopted the mode in modern times.

NOM can't declare war on Microsoft, who also supported marriage equality in WA, because they are dependent on Microsoft products.  So they are concentrating on Starbucks.   But it's amazing - attacking a US company internationally to force their christian agenda.

NOM also attempted to manipulate Black and Hispanic leaders / communities against the LGBT community in hopes of causing strife between those communities.

Views: 139

Replies to This Discussion

*sips her tall hot chocolate* What? I can't hear them over the sound of all the customers in Starbucks. I was considering dropping my daily 'bucks run before work but with this I think I'll just spend a few extra minutes working out instead. ;)

Cool!  I usually get my coffee in bulk but definitely headed for Starbucks tomorrow for some Sumatra.  And maybe a tall hot chocolate. 

This is interesting… and the response is equally, interesting.

What's next? oh, …lookee here!

They're endorsing  the Romney campaign, oh well …after all, he did give them $10,000 in '08.

…it's like I phased somehow and landed in some alternate universe where Spock has a beard or something. When did batshit crazy become anything other than the extreme fringe of surreal?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service