No jokes about people from Poland: Jesus statue built to defeat Secularism

Poland, Bastion of Religion, Sees Rise in Secularism

"The stark, white, 108-foot-high figure was erected last month in part to serve as sentry against a force already churning through Poland. “I hope this statue will become a remedy for this secularization,” said the Rev. Sylwester Zawadzki, the priest who inspired the construction of the figure, which rivals the height of Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro. “I hope it will have a religious mission and not just bring tourists.” "

Yes, nothing says "We are right" like a giant statue. Reminds me of the statue Bender had built in Futurama on the Ancient Egypt planet that said "Remember Me!" over and over. Too bad the Jesus statue doesn't also spit fire.

"Mr. Terlikowski said he was astounded when he heard that church leaders in Poland were so frustrated with what was being said about the church in the national newspapers that they ordered their staff members to stop bringing them the papers.

“Yes, really!” he said slapping a table for emphasis."

Ah, another great way to win a battle. Plug your ears and cover your eyes and chant "I'm not listening!" Good job!

"Church critics and supporters said that the trend was partly an expression of disgust with the clergy for taking sides in recent political battles, and partly the influence of thousands of Poles who had returned home after working and studying in the more secular societies in the West. "

"“I think most people would say their priest is a drunkard, that he is corrupt, that he takes too much money from weddings, that he bought himself a fancy car,” said Pawel Spiewak, a sociologist at the University of Warsaw, who added that the perception was not always fair or accurate. "

Well, I'm sure wasting tons of money on a statue meant to fight the tide of secularism in government will sure make people feel like you have stopped wasting money and monkeying around in politics.

Honestly, I don't think the Catholic PAC in Poland could have its head farther up its arse.

EDIT:

New link as the old one is apparently dead:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/12/world/europe/12poland.html

Views: 47

Replies to This Discussion

I thought Polish jokes went out in the 80's.

O.o

Anyway, they built a statue to ward off secularism.  I can't come up with a joke funnier than that.

hahahahaha That ^^ is pretty funny!

Yeah, what do they think it's gonna do? Actually *fight* heathens?

I'd pay money to see it take on an Evangelion or Godzilla or something.

I could picture a 108ft Jesus stomping through Tokyo to fight Godzilla.

Lady Liberty vs. giant Jesus = ghost busters 3

Remind me--didn't I read something once about "graven images"?  It had something to do with Christianity or the Catholic Church--or maybe it was just Abrahamic religions in general.  I think it said something about them being "bad" in some way.

Catholics don't have that commandment...

No, it's in there, too:

Exodus 20

4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

The Catholics just treat it differently.  They more or less lump it in with the first one, from my understanding.

Well, sure it is in the Bible, but they don't take that to be one of their Ten Commandments.

Catholic ten commandments:

http://www.beginningcatholic.com/catholic-ten-commandments.html

According to that link the Catholics reference Matthew 19 for backup:<i>

16(A)And someone came to Him and said, "Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain (B)eternal life?"

17And He said to him, "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but (C)if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."

18Then he said to Him, "Which ones?" And Jesus said, "(D)YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER; YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY; YOU SHALL NOT STEAL; YOU SHALL NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS;

19(E)HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER; and (F)YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."

20The young man said to Him, "All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?"

21Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and (G)sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have (H)treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

</i>

Someone should tell the Catholics to sell all their belongings.  I'll hold my breath.  Note that Jesus can only name 7 commandments, not ten, and two of them are not part of the original set.  Wow, what bullshit people believe.

A giant walking Jesus...wouldn't that *actually be* God-zilla?

I think this means Polish jokes are funny again.

I love the quote from Szymon Holownia:

“Twenty years of freedom and religion is evaporating,” he said. “This is the crisis of Christianity in Poland.”

This is a very telling statement about religion and freedom.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

abdulrahman aliyu posted a status
"How I wish things were different....... And I am in open society, not living in the midst of Muslims and couldn't express my views openly."
9 minutes ago
Joan Denoo commented on Daniel W's group Food!
30 minutes ago
Connor Galletly replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Pope Francis confesses that Evolution and the Big Bang theory are right: God isn't 'a magician with a magic wand' in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
32 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
33 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
36 minutes ago
Connor Galletly joined Dr. Terence Meaden's group
39 minutes ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
45 minutes ago
sk8eycat commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
2 hours ago
Plinius commented on Daniel W's group Food!
2 hours ago
Patricia liked Todd Crispin's profile
2 hours ago
Deidre posted a status
"“It is every man’s obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it.” ~Albert Einstein"
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service