How viable is a political party with the word "atheist" in its name? Troy Boyle, a corporate legal representative for a finance company, thinks very viable. Last March, he and a friend founded the National Atheist Party, which they believe to be the first American political party organized on the belief that God does not exist.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/03/national-atheist-party-fac...

Views: 76

Replies to This Discussion

UGH!  Come on Sandi, you know that atheists don't share the same views, Except for atheism. 

I do think that we have a common thread though and also think what any little movement is some movement. I just like to think that every little bit helps.

Most Aussies, even if they believe in religion, usually don't live their life by it like Americans do, ie: we don't have the saying: God Bless This Country, we don't make such a patriotic show of religion in our government or for our country.

If I can see this happening anywhere, it will be in Australia.

not too many atheists in america and they also don't agree politically - so good luck with that! :)

That group ought to have a life span slightly longer than a quark.

I'm happy to announce that Australia (with our current status of having a atheist as the prime minister (said with a boastful swagger!)) that we are progressing with our Secular Party - and have already had a break away group... LOL

http://www.secular.org.au/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Atheist-Party-of-Australia/1052075395...

Alice, as and Aussie living in America for the last 10 years, I miss quite a bit of 'local news', though I do see what makes headlines. I am proud of Julia and I know a lot of Aussies are pissed off about carbon tax etc, but this makes me want to pat the Green Party on the back. They have endured a long haul to get a voice and have done it. I would like to see the same thing here in the states, but I doubt that would ever happen. I don't know the exact ins and outs of it but I can only assume that it is a good thing if we want to protect the environment, but that is another debate altogether, my point is that I think Aussies are capable great change and hopefully religious freedom will be a big part of it.

Sandi - thanks for that injection of optimism :) - Just so you know, I voted Green - because I figure the others can vote Labour and make up the numbers - the fringe needs some boosting too - as then it's a proper democracy... :)

From what I've read of their platform (little) I like it...but yeah, good luck getting atheists to agree to a political platform.  It would be interesting to see the Objectivists and the Communists on the same ticket...

LOL - I really think they might learn something from the Australian experience - they've already had a break away from the secular party with the atheist party due to in fighting...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service