Akter belongs to the Coalition for Muslim School Holidays, a group of more than 80 religious and ethnic organizations lobbying to have the two Eid holidays designated as days off in New York City schools, in which 10 percent of the 1.1 million students are Muslim, according to a study published last year by the Teachers College at Columbia University. The city's school calendar already recognizes Christmas and the Jewish holidays of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.

[More...]

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

Simple fix: No more religious holidays in secular/state-funded schools.

If you want religious holidays off, attend a parochial/sectarian school.
Screw that! Thats my only way to breath in the middle of the year. Chrismas comes and I don't celebrate it but thats still 2 weeks off.
That's really not for Christmas though, if it's for 2 whole weeks when Christmas itself is only 1 day (2 if you count Christmas Eve). That time off includes New Year's Eve/Day, which I see as a secular holiday. So it's really just a winter break. I view spring break in the way, even though the time frame is usually around Easter.

Believe me, I know how badly those breaks are needed, I married a high school English teacher.
Yeah, we are celebrating Kwanzaa not Xmas!
I agree, what is a government institution doing recognizing religious holidays? You know, making law respecting an establishment of religion is illegal. Says so right there in Amendment 1.

We can make secular holidays that coincide with religious ones, but we are by no means forced to do so. What these Muslims should be doing is coming up with a secular holiday that falls then and pushing for that to get time off school instead of something else.
Simple solution: Everyone (students and workers alike) have 5 days off per year that they can use to celebrate religious holidays or whatever they want to do.
That's not so simple from an administrative stance. You'd have kids randomly missing up to a whole week at a time in the middle of planned curricula. It's bad enough when they skip and the schools expect teachers to let them make-up the work, this would just be chaotic.
You can make them chose in advance (the first school week, for example). Besides, it would probably be extreamly predictable since most families would chose the same holidays every year.
Until Scientologists, Wiccans, Pastafarians, Hindus, Buddhists and everyone else gets involved...then it becomes chaos.
Why? If they chose their days at the beginning of the year, you're pretty much set.
What if I decided to use those five days during finals week? Would I be excused from them because I didn't use them befour or would it be a ya snooze ya lose situation?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Patricia replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
2 minutes ago
Warren Jappe replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
9 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
10 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
14 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
14 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Loren Miller's discussion Christmas: Behind the Curtain (The Thinking Atheist) in the group Hang With Friends
16 minutes ago
Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
17 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan posted discussions
20 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Loren Miller's discussion Christmas: Behind the Curtain (The Thinking Atheist) in the group Hang With Friends
25 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
32 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Pity Poor Rush, Whose Panties Are in a Wad Because There Might Be a Black James Bond
36 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Loren Miller's discussion Christmas: Behind the Curtain (The Thinking Atheist) in the group Hang With Friends
38 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service