Legal Experts Blast Judge’s Decision: ‘If National Day of Prayer Is Unconstitutional, the Constitution Is Unconstitutional’

Legal Experts Blast Judge’s Decision: ‘If National Day of Prayer Is Unconstitutional, the Constitution Is Unconstitutional’

(CNSNews.com) - Conservative legal experts say a federal district judge in Wisconsin had no legal basis for declaring the National Day of Prayer unconstitutional – and predict the decision cannot stand.

“If the National Day of Prayer is unconstitutional, then the Constitution itself if unconstitutional,” Mathew Staver, president of Liberty Counsel and dean of the Liberty University School of Law in Lynchburg, Va., told CNSNews.com.

“The National Day of Prayer – or prayer itself – is older than the Constitution,” Staver said. “There is no question (this ruling) will be overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court.” [...]

Tags: doublethink, prayer, theotards

Views: 30

Replies to This Discussion

Good point Donna: "Prayer" as a word meaning "Negligible hope or chance."
The supreme court will overturn it though, so he's right there.
On what grounds?
The grounds that the supreme court is full of assholes that go in favor of religion every chance they get.
Brian Cunningham: The grounds that the supreme court is full of assholes that go in favor of religion every chance they get.

That's a just plain ignorant statement. Give the courts a degree of consideration. The judges did not get where they are by being imbeciles or pawns. Remember Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District. The presiding judge was John E. Jones III - a conservative, christian Bush appointee.
I was going for pessimistic and cynical. And hooray for the Dover decision! That wasn't supreme court though. Scalia whips his back into a bloody mess while masturbating and thinking about cases like this.
Oh, if only Scalia self-flagellated and masturbated. The world would be a better place.
The US courts do have a great number of great judges, but Brian is partially correct: the current Supreme court make up will lead to this being a 5-4 decision...although I'm not sure which way it will go. That is, of course, if the case even makes it that far.
Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas), told CNSNews.com that "it was obvious" the federal judge "had not received a very good education" in American history."

Louie got his American history education in Pittsburg, Texas, need I say more?
795-FEB-19: George Washington proclaimed a day of public thanksgiving and prayer.

I have a little less problem with that wording. Atheists can simply be thankful while the zealots do their praying.

But it still brings church and state dangerously close together.

BTW Nerd: Love ReligiousTolerance.org!
I love it. As with the bible; the constitution is sacred and to be followed rigidly and to the letter ... until it says something we don't like. Then by all means, change it.
Meanwhile:

• Circa 1813: President James Madison proclaimed a day of prayer. He later said such proclamations are not appropriate. "They seem to imply and certainly nourish the erroneous idea of a national religion."
  • 1808: Thomas Jefferson also opposed declarations of national days of prayer by the Federal government. He wrote "Fasting and prayer are religious exercises; the enjoining them an act of discipline. Every religious society has a right to determine for itself the time for these exercises, and the objects proper for them, according to their own particular tenets; and right can never be safer than in their hands, where the Constitution has deposited it."

Just because a tradition is long standing neither makes it right OR constitutional.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service