Koran burning cancelled, Ground Zero 'mosque' cancelled

MSNBC update: The imam contradicts the Pastor's story and says there was no deal.

Update to the update: the deal to postpone the koran burning was struck with a 3rd party imam unrelated to the Cordoba house project who is acting as an intermediary to try to broker a deal between the two groups.

Views: 47

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think it is hate speech to burn a book that is chock full of hate speech.
You and I might not have a problem with that, but you and I both know that the intent behind this action is hate, and that the message that will be received on the other end is hate. My point is that the intent is what is harmful here.

For example, take the phrase "get your fuckin' shine box". Easy to understand, right? Simple, direct, not particularly polite but maybe the person who says it says "fuck" a lot and it doesn't really mean anything. And yet, anyone who's seen Goodfellas knows the context and intent behind that phrase, and knows that (in the movie, at least) people died over something as stupid as that. That's the problem I have: This redneck ass-wipe in Florida is telling all of Islam to go get their fuckin' shoe box, and it will be taken as coming from America in totum - count on that.

And count on the Muslim world acting like Joe Pesci's character... again. still.
This fruitcake pastor apparently hears voices. Some of the voices are even real. It's just that what he hears them say... isn't.
Now the burning has been suspended.
Well, it seems like the idiot has finally gathered that the vast majority of the nation is against him.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100910/ap_on_re_us/quran_burning

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – As thousands of Afghans protested a tiny Florida church's plan to burn the Muslim holy book, the church's pastor said he won't follow through with the burning if he's able to meet Saturday with the organizers behind a mosque planned near ground zero in New York.

Earlier, Jones and Musri had disagreed sharply on the terms of their agreement.

Jones said Thursday he would call off the planned burning of Qurans based on a deal negotiated with Musri that the location of a mosque planned near ground zero in New York would be changed.

But Musri said he was clear on Thursday when he told Jones that he could only set up a meeting with planners of the New York City mosque. Jones responded by suggesting that he would go forward with his plan on Saturday after all.

"We are just really shocked," Jones said of Musri. "He clearly, clearly lied to us."

He's still being a prick, though ... and there's a section further down the article that demonstrates how blind and idiotic most fundamentalist Christians are:

Previously, Jones had not invoked the mosque controversy as a reason for his planned protest at his Dove World Outreach Center. Instead, he cited his belief that the Quran is evil because it espouses something other than biblical truth and incites radical, violent behavior among Muslims.

Change a few words and it's still an accurate statement: Instead, he cited his belief that the Bible is evil because it espouses something other than actual, observable truth and incites radical, violent behavior among Christians.
i don't give two pieces of dog doo about the Quran or burning it. He could burn one every day if that thrills him as far as I'm concerned. And everyone of those yahoos threatening to harm US soldiers over this could burn a bible every day and I wouldn't care. However, I do care a great deal about our men and women fighting for our country in the Middle East. This is unnecessarily putting their lives at risk - all for a side show stunt. I'm all for free speech and as impolite and inciting as burning someone's holy book is, it is free speech. However, free speech should be tempered with common sense. This makes no sense. Obviously, this church doesn't give two cents for our men and women in the military. *loser*
One of the things that really surprises me with this whole story is that few people are looking at the whole picture of who Terry Jones and his posse of lunatics are. In April this year, the church joined Fred Phelps and his gang for an anti-gay demonstration in Gainesville. They should be treated like Phelps and his ilk. Shunned, mocked, and ignored.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service