It's Almost Yom Kippur, Have You Taken Your Caffeine Suppository?

Beginning tonight at sundown is Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the year for Jews. It is the Day of Atonement, marked by reflection, praying and fasting. And while Paul Krugman is blasting Heart to get in the mood, others are rushing to their local pharmacies to procure their sacred caffeine suppositories.

More...

Views: 86

Replies to This Discussion

I had to click on the link. Yom Kippur was over a while ago.

Good article, but kinda late posting it here...
I have a friend who decided to try and be a good little Jew this year (I.e.; not so much of a disappointment to her family) and did the fasting thing. Complained the hardest part was the caffeine headaches. I wonder if she knew about the caffeine suppository?

Seems like cheating to me.
At passover, some people came up with some unleavened "passover cake". I can't eat regular crackers or tortillas, but I can eat cake?! I don't care about the technicalities; that's cheating.

I guess you couldn't take caffeine pills, then, and I suppose you couldn't take any other pills either. Some people need pills to live. That could be hazardous.
I guess you couldn't take caffeine pills, then, and I suppose you couldn't take any other pills either. Some people need pills to live. That could be hazardous.

Technically true as I understand the fasting to include no drinking, even water.

I know that Islam, as a general rule, makes exceptions for stuff like this and even says to only fast so long as your health permits. E.g.; young children, the elderly, diabetics, etc, get a pass. ("General" rule. There will always be those who take it to an extreme).

I would think that Judaism would do the same? Hope they would?
They do.
I fasted for Yom Kippur when I was living with a family in Beer Sheva, Israel. I was really disappointed in the whole holiday. Everyone slept most of the day.
Sorry, I prefer taking my caffeine in at the other end.
There is something deceiving about this I need to point out.

Perhaps this is only true in more Liberal Jewish sects (Conservative, Reform, etc), but pills and such are not forbidden on Yom Kippur. Your health is more important than fasting is, so if for any health reason, you have to eat, drink, take pills, etc, then it is more important that you do so. My Dad (Jewish clergy, for those who remember) is both pre-diabetic and hyperglycemic, so he takes pills and, if he absolutely has to, eats on Yom Kippur.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

k.h. ky replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
1 minute ago
Loren Miller replied to sflmac's discussion God cured Doctor's Ebola disease.
8 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Free market creates monopoly - no market, no freedom in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
15 minutes ago
Michael Pianko commented on Freethinker31's blog post Respect for other peoples culture
18 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Thigh Bone on Mars? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
22 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Thigh Bone on Mars? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
22 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to ShroudedAtheist's discussion How rude of me!
50 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Free market creates monopoly - no market, no freedom in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
52 minutes ago
ShroudedAtheist replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Thigh Bone on Mars? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
James M. Martin replied to Steph S.'s discussion In what way are you still recovering from being brought up religious? in the group Recovering from Religion
1 hour ago
Scott DeLong replied to James M. Martin's discussion It Doesn't Take Long for this Racist Missouri Lawman to Blast Anyone Different from a Middle-Aged White Male
1 hour ago
James M. Martin replied to sflmac's discussion God cured Doctor's Ebola disease.
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service