"I didn't know where she was. The only person who knew where she was was God, and I asked him, and he led me directly to her, straight -- well, as straight as you can go through the swamp."

Of course.

http://tinyurl.com/y2ctbuq

Sorry bout that! 

Views: 45

Replies to This Discussion

God purposely led that little girl astray just so he could get the credit when someone found her.

Well... that's another way of looking at it.
:)
my thinking exactly!!
When a religious believer use emphatic declarations – “God leads me directly to her” – he indulges in an imaginary performance, since the idea of God he is imagining is just a projected fantasy. Theologian Keith Ward said that religious believers should to some extent accept this.

An idea of God – he is talking about an idea of God, not about God – is a construct of the imagination, not a perceived object in the external world. When we try to form some image of a reality that is beyond all images, what we are actually doing is projecting imaginatively our own mind. For Ward the only question is whether it is a construct that has no basis in reality, or whether it is striving to depict some sort of objective reality.

Ward argues that all science, including mathematics, is a construct of the human imagination: that it takes a very degree of imagination to be a good mathematician. Many mathematicians believe that they are not just inventing mathematics. When they discover a set of objective truths, Ward contends that they used their imaginations as creatively as possible. Intellectual imagination may be a means of access to a reality that cannot be know by the senses. For many mathematicians and mystics it is precisely that.

To your question, Cynthia, that “gawd” should have led the girl out of the swamp in the first place. Autistic children are literalist, they don’t project their internal feelings and moods onto the external world. Rather in the world of autism, God is not easily conceivable. They have a natural defense against the “God-virus.”
Autistic children are literalist, they don’t project their internal feelings and moods onto the external world. Rather in the world of autism, God is not easily conceivable. They have a natural defense against the “God-virus.”

Actually, we very much do project our internal feelings and moods onto the external world. It's just not in the external world's language and therefore, not always heard or understood for what it is. That, and there are times where we see little point in showing or projecting feelings when a neurotypical would feel it appropriate to get all moody or hysterical (and vice-versa).

And I think our natural defense against the god virus comes more from our tendency to be overly literal and objective; our natural tendency to demand something makes logical sense before we'll accept it.
I don't know anything about this, but I would not be the least surprised to find that her rescuer knew where she was for some other, perhaps nefarious, reason, like he led or lured her off into the swamp.
if this girl was a bit autistic, why in the world did her parents not keep a better eye on her.....and if gawd cared at all, why didn't HE keep an eye on her!
She supposedly was there for four days and was found in very good physical condition. Did anyone ask her what water she drank?
Why did God give her autism?
In my interpretation, he used the intuitive capabilities of our mind in order to find her. But as a religious person he will attribute it naturally to God. God does not give autism; autism is just another messing-up of natural selection.
I cannot help but feel that there has been premeditated deceit. How did anyone know that she was in the swamp to begin with?
Why did God give her autism?

So that years later, God could make her get lost in a swamp for 4 days, so that when the bimbo found her it would make for a better news story. Not just a kid but an autistic kid (cue bad god-music and heartfelt chorus' of "awwww.")
if this girl was a bit autistic, why in the world did her parents not keep a better eye on her

Define "A bit autistic."

I'm a bit autistic and felt quite capable as a child of playing safely outside on my own. In fact for me, it was quite an advantage. My hyper-rational mind saw details and potential dangers that the other kids were oblivious to.

Some of us need/needed the extra supervision as kids. Some of us didn't.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service