Evangelical scholar forced out after endorsing evolution

When it comes to incriminating videos these days, the one of Bruce K. Waltke might seem pretty tame. It shows the noted evangelical scholar of the Old Testament talking about scholarship, faith and evolution. What was incriminating? He not only endorsed evolution, but said that evangelical Christianity could face a crisis for not coming to accept science.

"If the data is overwhelmingly in favor of evolution, to deny that reality will make us a cult ... some odd group that is not really interacting with the world. And rightly so, because we are not using our gifts and trusting God's Providence that brought us to this point of our awareness," he says, according to several accounts by those who have seen the video. Those words set off a furor at the Reformed Theological Seminary, where Waltke was — until this week — a professor. (The seminary is evangelical, with ties to several denominations.)

Read the rest here.

Tags: christian, cult, evangelical, evolution, religion, science, theology

Views: 13

Replies to This Discussion

Proves that they aren't interested in the real world.
Yes, but certainly not the proof we were waiting for. We already knew that!
Eventually they will kick out everyone that can think at all and really be a cult. Let us just hope that happens before the Evangelicals do real damage.
In my opinion, many of us have been harmed by the teachings, beliefs and faiths of the evangelicals, no! of the people who hold religious views of the desert faiths, Jews, Christians, and Muslims.
Oh there has been harm, but the damage potential (i.e. theocracy, etc.) is much larger. So far their inability to deal with reality has kept them from really moving things forward...but I have no reason to think it will always be that way. Look at the following of Sarah Palin if you want to see the faces of the truly dangerous.
do i smell a sequel? "expelled 2: we're hypocrites."
Born again hypocrites.
Well, it's their freedom to be critics of reality, huh?

This scholar is all right. I just hope that he will gradually see through all these and realize that dogmatic thinking is how these organized religions survive through the ages. Reality has nothing to do with them.
"If the data is overwhelmingly in favor of evolution, to deny that reality will make us a cult ... some odd group that is not really interacting with the world. And rightly so, because we are not using our gifts and trusting God's Providence that brought us to this point of our awareness,"

Wow - while I wish religion would go away altogether, next best thing is more people who thought like this.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service