"Crash" director Paul Haggis has severed his ties with the Church of Scientology, in part because of what he alleged as the organization's stance against gay marriage.

Haggis wrote a letter addressed to Tommy Davis, the head of Scientology's Celebrity Centre. In it, Haggis said he was disappointed by the church's tacit denial of gay rights in the debate over California's gay marriage ban.

The 56-year-old Haggis, who won an Oscar in 2005 for co-writing "Crash" said he was quitting the church after 35 years.

[FULL STORY]

Tags: California, Paul Haggis, Scientology, church

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

I didn't think it was possible to quit Scientology. Didn't John Travolta try and was threatened?
That's why you do it publicly with open letters, then they can't do anything without exposing themselves.
I'd love to see Scamology collaspe on itself like a rotten Jack' O Lantern before I die.
I think the most amazing part about him leaving the church is that the anti-gay component was the part that was simply too crazy for him.

Xenu, e-meters, rundowns and the fact that church was created by a fiction author, heck, those are acceptable but, anti-gay? FUCK THAT, I'm out!

I wish having anti-gay policies was enough to get people to leave religions - what religions would be left?
"I wish having anti-gay policies was enough to get people to leave religions - what religions would be left?"

A few versions of Buddhism and most of the neo-Pagans. Much, much easier world to live in when the most religious oppression that exists is being overcharged for jewelry at the New Age store.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service