NSFW - playboy.com link.

Confessions of a Tea Party Consultant

Everything I know about being a good consultant comes from Fight Club. Discretion is everything. Rule number one is you don’t talk about consulting for the Tea Party. Rule number two is you don’t talk about consulting for the Tea Party. The story about the wild characters who are shaping this campaign cycle is worth telling, but please excuse my anonymity.

I hold as many meetings as possible over Tanqueray and tonics at the St. Regis hotel on K Street in Washington, D.C. The bar is dark and private, with comfortable couches. Even the gin tastes better there. On weekday afternoons the only people in the bar are foreigners and political consultants long past caring about who actually wins.
[...]
Various Republican congressional leaders met for hours with our leadership and our finance team in the Richard Nixon suite at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington. Never in my career had I had a congressman look me in the eyes behind closed doors and say with such sincerity, "Give me a list of what you need me to do." The second meeting drew 10 congressmen. There we sat, inside the Capitol Hill Club (which shares the building that houses the Republican National Committee), sharing ideas on how we can work together. The third meeting drew 17 congressmen. We’ll see help with fundraising and research from friendly members of Congress. It’s what you won’t see that’s more important. Our role is to quietly help a dozen grassroots conservative candidates win in the fall, using traditional and nontraditional means. If you don’t hear from us directly, we will have done our job. [...]

A crawl through the gutter with an amoral Machiavellite. As an outsider looking in, this fills me with equal parts horror and nausea. You can call the US whatever you want - just stop the charade of pretending to be a functional democracy.

The money shot -

A good piece of mail gets its message across in 10 seconds. Television gives you 30 seconds, maybe. We’re playing to the reptilian brain rather than the logic centers, so we look for key words and images to leverage the intense rage and anxiety of white working-class conservatives. In other words, I talk to the same part of your brain that causes road rage. Ross Perot’s big mistake was his failure to connect his pie charts with the primordial brain. Two years after Perot’s first White House run the GOP figured this out, and thus was born the "angry white man" and with him a 54-seat swing in the House of Representatives.

Tags: brownshirts, deception, k street, propaganda, tea party, washington

Views: 11

Replies to This Discussion

*shudder*
Honestly, reading that article makes me want to just give up on even paying attention to politics. What's the point when your opponent's purpose is simply to win, regardless of what for or how.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Neanderthal Man posted a video

Viking Trance - Who's You from Napoleon Bonaparte on Vimeo.

Viking Trance - Who's You

Music by Viking Trance with video editing by Napoleon Bonaparte. 〩In The Mix 24/7 at http://www.vikingtrance.com ॐ ViKING TRANCE PsΨ Radio iTunes:https://itunes.apple.com/artist/viking-trance/id546597057 Choose Your Preferred Sound Quality @…
24 minutes ago
sk8eycat commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
26 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man replied to Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Viking Trance in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
28 minutes ago
Barbara Livingston commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
34 minutes ago
Grinning Cat liked Warren Jappe's photo
35 minutes ago
Asa Watcher replied to Charles Cassels's discussion Petrified forests take millions of years?
35 minutes ago
Grinning Cat liked Warren Jappe's photo
36 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Daniel W's discussion Zombie Christmas!
37 minutes ago
Grinning Cat commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
38 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
44 minutes ago
Barbara Livingston commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
47 minutes ago
Asa Watcher replied to Matt Gabe's discussion Atheists who preach religion and theists who preach atheism
48 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service