Catholic leadership continue to make fools of themselves over Teh Gayz

Cardinal: High court wrong to uphold gay marriage

Now, it is no surprise that the Catholic leadership are against gay marriage, and I doubt it is a surprise to anyone here that they are also liars. But this line just jumped out at me:

He called same-sex unions "inherently immoral," saying they "distort the nature of marriage raised by Christ to the dignity of a sacrament."

Whoa, there lil' buddy. Marriage as a sacrament goes back to the Christ you say? Well, the Bible might support that position, but the Church definitely does not.

From the Wiki on Catholic marriage:

This negative view of marriage was reflected in the lack of interest shown by the Church authorities. Although the Church quickly produced liturgies to celebrate Baptism and the Eucharist, no special ceremonial was devised to celebrate Christian marriage, nor was it considered important for couples to have their nuptials blessed by a priest. People could marry by mutual agreement in the presence of witnesses. This system, known as Spousals, persisted after the Reformation. At first the old Roman pagan rite was used by Christians, although modified superficially. The first detailed account of a Christian wedding in the West dates from the 9th century and was identical to the old nuptial service of Ancient Rome.

That's the 9th century, not the 1st, Cardinal full-o-crap. At least get your religion straight before inserting into politics. Well, I guess it is a bit late to ask for that, huh?

Views: 17

Replies to This Discussion

Well, "God doesn't like it," is the ultimate reason for most of them. It's kind of funny. They're good at asking, "Why are we here?" and other nonsense questions which don't necessarily have a valid answer. When you start asking 'why' questions about God, they're pretty quick to fall back on the whole God's mysterious ways argument.
Well, most of the arguments I've heard for God being the ultimate source of morality rapidly boil down to "God is the creator, so everything he says is right." It's kind of a variation on "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out of it," or "Might makes right." I don't find any of those to be a solid foundation for morality.
I've had bosses like that, yeah.
really? there are atheists that believe god wouldn't be automatically right just bcuz hes god... I thought I was a rarity. most atheists (I have seen) never point any of these things out lol. I thought most of us argued against the religion being politically untrue because they didn't believe in god.
Well, they'll also bring up that the Bible says it's wrong. Of course that then immediately brings up the point that the Bible also says that you can sell your daughter into slavery.
wow are those guys up to there old tricks again this is why church should be separate from state (and science in my opinion)
You seem to forget that we as humans have free choice -- even when we don't. One has the choice to be straight even though god set conditions such that one becomes gay.

In this way god controls everything, makes no mistake, and everything is your fault.
Heh, on a bit of a sarcasm kick tonight, huh Louis? Well applied, though.
Why should he let them quit, they are the perfect Catholic employees. They are willing to shuffle around criminals AND take the fall for it when necessary.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service