Catholic Bishops investigate the Girl Scouts for alleged abortion & gay rights group ties

The Catholic Church, not to mention the Religious Right, has been upset with the Girl Scouts since 1991, when the GS announced their neutrality on sexual and gender issues. To many religious conservatives, neutrality is equivalent to collaboration.

For more on the "investigation" go here.

Tags: Girl Scouts, abortion, gay rights

Views: 93

Replies to This Discussion

I saw this too, in wash post.  Things are so interconnected, and people have a hard time severing ties even when those ties are more like a yoke.  In the case of girl scouts:roman catholic church, even if it's a loss, the girl scouts would be better off without the catholic bishops, who are innately anti-woman, meddling in their organization.

I won't defend the Catholic Church since I certainly agree that they are anti-women (I'd go farther and say that they are anti-everyone since the Church's agenda conflicts with separation of church & state and therefore isn't consistant with the idea of civil liberties for individuals). However, they do have the right to tell their members what to do (as long as they don't co-opt gov't to force it on them anyway) and so have the right to investigate the Girl Scouts and cut ties with them as well as suggest that Catholics boycott them.

And you're right; the Girl Scouts would be better off without them.

As far as Im concerned, they can declare the Girl Scouts "Heretics" and defund them.  That would be kind of bad publicity for the bishops.

Ahhh, more Middle Age witch hunts from that wild, wacky, and fun filled group know as the Catholic Church. The same group that brought you such mega-hits as the Inquisition, the auto-da-fe, millenium of anti-semitism, cover-up of child torture and rape, misogyny, homophobia, money laundering, and superstition over science and knowledge. And now, having left a trail of pre-pubescent male rape victims in their wake, it's time to attack little girls.

Just who in the f&%k gave these scum bags "police powers" to investigate anyone? They cant' investigate a trail of used condoms leading from sacristy where the altar boys keep their vestments to the rectory where the priest lives. All they can do here is what they're good at - persecute.

Hugh, you're correct in that they can set the rules of the clubhouse, and if you decide to remain a member, you follow the rules. However, we can publicly call their worthless asses out it, also.

if we let them they would gladly burn them.

I think you're wrong to say that they would gladly burn them. Undoubtedly they would issue great expressions of sorrow while they burned them.

That's what the Inquisition always did.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Man boob posted a status
"CHECK OUT THE SONGS I UPLOADED ON MY PROFILE WOOOOOOOOO"
9 minutes ago
Man boob posted songs
11 minutes ago
Rick posted a blog post
17 minutes ago
Rick posted a status
"Pondering....pondering......pondering...."
27 minutes ago
Jonathan Tweet replied to Freethinker31's discussion Are Atheists too judgmental??
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's blog post I am offended
2 hours ago
Vangelis replied to Vangelis's discussion Declaration of Atheism
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Isn’t it time to save the the U.S.A. from the South?
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo posted a discussion
3 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to matthew greenberg's discussion ISIS - a conservative paradise in Iraq
3 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Isn’t it time to save the the U.S.A. from the South?
3 hours ago
Patricia commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service