Anson Cameron of the Sydney Daily Herald tells a tale of atheists, with their anger fanned by the flames of burning stacks of The God Delusion doing... absolutely nothing.

IN SCENES of calm bemusement not seen in the lower United States since John Scopes taught innocent schoolchildren evolution, it was reported yesterday that Pastor Terry Jones had given up on his plans to burn 200 Korans and was instead planning to incite atheists by soaking a gross of Richard Dawkins's The God Delusion in moonshine and putting a match to them.

Atheists, who hadn't been expected to come out in pick-up trucks with gun racks on their rear windows and circle his church with their engines revving like goaded Rottweilers, didn't.

Tags: Anson Cameron, Dawkins, The God Delusion, book, burning

Views: 35

Replies to This Discussion

Survivalists will tell you that you can cook over a roll of toilet paper in a pot or coffee can, soaked in denatured alcohol (ethanol) and set alight. I guess a Bible would work just as well, or any dense paper with plenty of room to soak up the ethanol.

I'm like you, though. I hate to destroy books. I have a load of Christian books in a box right now that I'll probably take to Goodwill, because I just can't bear to destroy them, even though it would probably be for the best if I did.
That sounds completely reasonable. You are basically using the toilet paper as a wick for an alcohol lamp. Although, I think they generally discourage the use of accelerants at these types of events, but I have been known to use a little boyscout water from time to time, hehe.
I'll have to see what they get for bibles at goodwill. I bet I can get one even cheaper than that.
As long as it is your own property.
Of course it would be my own property. I don't have one right now, but I'll check at goodwill for a cheapy one. I would never think of destroying or defacing someone elses property, that wouldn't be nice.
Sounds like he HAS to burn something. Maybe his clothes will catch on fire and he will burn himself.
Great article. Is this paper another Onion?

You know, it is true that if you legally burn a book, or flag (meaning, you didn't steal it), you had to spend money on it. Money that goes into the pockets of the religion, or author, or country you don't like. And then you don't have that money to spend on bombing an abortion clinic, or whatever you were going to spend your money on.

Burn away!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service