Bankrupt church wants donations for pastor’s sick wife ferried in limo.

Bankrupt church wants donations for pastor’s sick wife ferried in limo

By Zachary Roth | The Lookout

Some members of a bankrupt Orange County, Calif. megachurch are expressing outrage after fielding an email request for congregants to deliver food to waiting limos so that it can ferried to the founder's sick wife. The appeal comes weeks after a lawsuit charged that the founder of the Crystal Cathedral house of worship, Rev. Robert Schuller, and his family had been paying themselves lavish salaries and other benefits while the church was in financial straits.

Read more here.

Alternate article here.

Views: 413

Replies to This Discussion

Surely, surely, the congregation is not surprised by this!

A spokesman for the church, John Charles, said the food request was in keeping with the church's commitment to Christian charity. "As Dr. Schuller always says, 'Find a need and fill it,'" he said. "I think that's what we were trying to do here."

That's funny. What would these people know about charity? Shouldn't they be like their jeebus and give all their wealth away to the poor?

But Canfield sees things differently. "These are millionaires who have limos and chauffeurs," he said. "Why in God's name would they want the congregants to deliver meals? It's ludicrous

Yes, and who made them millionaires, you effin moron? You did! JFC these people are bone-headed morons.

I've read a few stories about money fraud in churches and it's probably the tip of an iceburg because church finances are often less scrutinized and less open to the public.

I'm interested to know about church accountability and any liability to taxation in various countries.

Agreed! I think most (if not all) churches have money fraud problems. (Especially those mega churches and TV evangelists.)  Oh and don't forget Harold Camping - he took money from his followers for his doomsday failed predictions - some gave him their life savings.

"Find a need and fill it"? I think it was a slip of the tongue - what he meant to say was "find a greed and fill it".

Rev. Robert Schuller, and his family had been paying themselves lavish salaries and other benefits while the church was in financial straits.

"They've completely depleted the church's funds," one member, Bob Canfield, told the Orange County Register. "But they have shown that they have absolutely no remorse for what they've done. They're still being chauffeured around in limos. We, the congregants, have nothing."

They sound just like bankers.

Jezus.. Years ago I used to know these people. I even performed in that monstrosity of a building. At the time this place was in it's heyday, the idea was that it was supposed to be the church of the "Hollywood stars".  God was supposed to bless them and everyone there with the good life. They used to sell chunks of glass on TV with and inscription on it, I think it was something about "possibility thinking".  They sold them for $5,000 each to pay for the construction of that place and got many, many millions for them.

Going back even further...  it started out as a drive in church where people would drive up to a screen like a drive in theater.  At that time they thought of it as the "church of the future".   And hey... now they don't have shit! 

Now, the ugly is that the Catholic Church bought the whole thing lock stock and barrel, and dished up like $70 million in cash for it.  CASH... the Catholics.. over night!  You know, the ones who are supposed to be paying out "big bucks" to the boys they raped over the years.  You know, the ones who want us to feel sorry for because they have to pay a whole 5 or 6 million bucks (I don't remember the number) to their alter boy victims.  Yet, they can cough up an immediate $70 million bucks for this big pile of glass. 

It makes you think of how gullible the religious are... and how #%@)*&@ the Catholics are.  Makes me sick.

Dr. Robert H. Schuller was one of the proponents of the "prosperity gospel" so why should anyone be surprised that he uses limousines to pick up donated meals instead of the family station wagon?

Well, we can see how prosperous his church is now.
What's wrong with you people?  It's not like they were asking for people to deliver money to their yachts.  What are they supposed to do, order out for pizza?
Why is everyone so surprised over this?  Take a con artist like Schuller (or Joel Osteen, Rick Warren, Pat Robertson, Joseph Ratzinger, etc.) who makes a living bilking the gullible out of millions by selling them tickets to a fantasy land theme park in the clouds.  Now, when he presses his otherwise incredible luck with the rubes one more time, everyone who previously shelled out their hard earned $$$ to this grifter gets their pantyhose in knot.  It's not the ones who got pissed over this prime example of chutzpah that I'm curious about, it's the ones who actually delivered the meals to the limos that I'd like to hear about.

Why is everyone so surprised over this?

I think, Pat, mine is the only post on this thread that expresses shock or surprise, and the simple answer is that I don't live in the United States. I may be wrong, but this sort of thing doesn't happen in the UK - or at least on nothing like this scale.

My question about surprise was the surprise expressed by those who had given their money to this con artist - not those here on A|N.  There may be several reason why things like this are not so common in Europe (and I'm speculating here).  US citizens are not taxed to support a church, nor is there an "official" state religion in the US.  Therefore, religion here in the US, especially christianity, is like unregulated capitalism.  Whoever can best market their product gets the greatest rewards.  And, like the investors with Bernie Madoff, greed in that religious marketing process plays a big role.  Though, to be fair, I don't think the archbishop of Cantebury lives like a pauper   And just where does his paycheck come from?

Heh, ah.

Well, they're holy people who are directly in touch with God.  How else would they be able to do the miracles that everyone has seen them do?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service