Archdioceses Expect Bankruptcy Protection To Help Float Their Sexual Abuse Of Children

Archdioceses in the US are expecting bankruptcy support (of course involving our tax dollars) to stay functional as they attempt to financially settle with victims of clergy sexual molestation of children.

Per the artcle:

"The archdiocese is the eighth in the U.S. to seek bankruptcy protection since the clergy abuse scandal erupted in 2002 in Boston. The other seven are in Davenport, Iowa; Fairbanks, Alaska; Portland, Oregon; San Diego; Spokane, Washington; Tucson, Arizona; and Wilmington, Delaware."

"David Clohessy, director of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, said Tuesday, the bankruptcy move was "about protecting church secrets, not church assets" by preventing church officials from testifying under oath."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2011-01-04-Milwaukee-sex-abus...

Tags: Abuse, Bankruptcy, Children, Jubinsky, Molestation, Sexual

Views: 5

Replies to This Discussion

Let's see how much of their fucking gold-plated prayer bling they're willing to sell to keep themselves afloat.

Actually, it's surprising the Vatican hasn't funded them for all this. You'd think shelling out some cash would be a small price to pay to avoid the ignominy of a bankrupt archdiocese, given how happily they'll ruin entire communities for the sake of their own reputation...but then I suppose a destroyed life or two (dozen) is nothing compared to having to contemplate the horror of potentially giving up their god's ceremonial possessions.

it's surprising the Vatican hasn't funded them for all this. You'd think shelling out some cash would be a small price to pay to avoid the ignominy of a bankrupt archdiocese

I agree. it is evil, in the sense of a lesser of two evils

See, its a technical bit of law to do with legal entity.  the vatican always maintained dioceses were independent of it to avoid corporate liability priests, cardinals etc were not 'employees' it's run more akin to a franchise.

The paper and money trail has subsequently put pay to that lie but dioceses seeking legal protection, I suspect is a consequence of this as when the scandal first broke in the US many claims folded because the diocese which had employed the priests concerned declared themselves bankrupt as a way of stemming the flood of claims. A bit like you cant sue a mcdonalds in california for food poisoning you received in new york particularly now that particular drive through has changed hands and is a laundrette, who launder stuff.....

You don't get to be as big and corrupt as The Holy See without knowing a few clever lawyers.
I agree with you Mick Wright!  There is nothing they won't do in the name of their own reputation.  I have said for years I won't be happy until the Pope is at the pawn shop cashing in the deed to the Vatican to pay off the survivors of the church.  I hope their bankruptcy status is denied, let them drown in their own misery.  It's my belief that the Vatican purposely hasn't stepped (publicly) in as a strategic move, they wouldn't be able to claim bankruptcy if it was proven they're receiving enough funding from the Vatican.  You have to wonder how does it make a member of the church feel knowing his/her tithing is going to pay off sex abuse....how the hell can they look themselves in the mirror everyday?  Why can't they see it's 'god's will' to let the church dissipate?  We are talking about a church that raped, murdered, stole and tortured their way to the top, in fact isn't that how the Vatican accumlated most of their wealth to begin with? Shouldn't the Vatican's wealth be redistributed among the countries it invaded with it's  nonsense?

They've managed to add an unspoken 'but not when we do it' to that whole rich-man-into-heaven-camel-eye-of-needle thing. Far as they're concerned they're doing it for god.

Except the raping.

I hope.

• "David Clohessy, director of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, said Tuesday, the bankruptcy move was "about protecting church secrets, not church assets" by preventing church officials from testifying under oath."
Either way, don't care.  Screw 'em.
Well, he's got a point. And pointing out why they want to do it is one more rhetorical punch in the face for every son of a bitch trying to hide what they did; when that becomes more widely known, it'll influence public opinion, and the more it influences that, the more incentive the people running things have to shine a light into every corner of all this.

Well, I meant whatever their motivation, it's an abuse of the system.

I see your point, though.  If you can expose their underhanded muffling of the truth, you can potentially drive more of a wedge between them and their income.  Although, anyone who hasn't already run from the Catholic church is probably too sheep-like for this to do much to their mindless worship of the perfection of the Catholic hierarchy.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service