Athens, --

Ga. - Georgia Rep. Paul Broun said in videotaped remarks that evolution, embryology and the Big Bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of hell" meant to convince people that they do not need a savior.

The Republican lawmaker made the comments during a speech Sept. 27 at a sportsman's banquet at Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell. Broun, a physician who sits on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology, is running for re-election unopposed by Democrats.

"God's word is true," Broun said, according to a video posted on the church's website. "I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell. And it's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who are taught that from understanding that they need a savior."

Broun also said that he believes the Earth is about 9,000 years old and that it was made in six days. Those beliefs are held by fundamentalist Christians who believe the creation accounts in the Bible to be literally true.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Rep-Paul-Broun-Evolution-lie...
God Bless America

Views: 249

Replies to This Discussion

Well, the Tea Party has control of the house so what do you expect?  Now, if they get control of the Senate, what do you expect will happen there?  And these wealthy conservative campaign contributors know better and don't give a damn (as long as they keep getting richer.)

Racism is a primary tool of the new Republican Party. In the 1960s, the party adopted the Southern Strategy. It uses the resentment of many Southern whites toward desegregation and the federal authority that forced desegragation on southern states. As a result, Republicans go into presidential elections with a 110 delegate lead - the old Confederacy - Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, South Carolina, et al.

The Midwest is not quite as angry but they have high numbers  of social conservatives who are fearful of losing their privileged status and fear the urban culture with it's high minority demographic and relatively progressive policies.

Corporate interests use these bigoted and "uninformed" to carry elections that create a powerful pro-business culture in Washington - and it screws the the "uninformed" more than anyone else.  The rich don't have the numbers to win elections fairly, hence the gross dishonesty that characterizes most Repubican campaigns.

I keep thinking the US deserves what it does to itself.  Unfortunately I'm in it and will get flushed down the commode with the rest of the country.

So much better put than my angry retort but so painful to read and admit.

I'm so disgusted by what passes as respectable, "Romney's great performance" for example, that I'm tuning it out. I'm voting but that's it. 

I am doing the same thing.

Were Broun not suffcient to fuck up any advances in science, that font of knowledge about lady parts, Todd Akin, is also on the committee.  A major problem with our elected officials is that a significant number of them are as dumb as fucking rocks. 

Which leads us to a significant part of the electorate is as dumb as fucking rocks.

As good as Horsey is, he doesn't dare put a cross around a Republican neck or otherwise suggest that religion and bigotry are at the heart of it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Luara commented on Loren Miller's photo
8 minutes ago
Grinning Cat commented on Claire Donnelly's group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
12 minutes ago
James M. Martin commented on Claire Donnelly's group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
21 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
27 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
32 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
33 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
35 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's photo
44 minutes ago
Morrigan Wolf joined Claire Donnelly's group
52 minutes ago
Freethinker 31 replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's photo
1 hour ago
Freethinker 31 commented on Čenek Sekavec's blog post Blaming the victim?
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service