Athens, --

Ga. - Georgia Rep. Paul Broun said in videotaped remarks that evolution, embryology and the Big Bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of hell" meant to convince people that they do not need a savior.

The Republican lawmaker made the comments during a speech Sept. 27 at a sportsman's banquet at Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell. Broun, a physician who sits on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology, is running for re-election unopposed by Democrats.

"God's word is true," Broun said, according to a video posted on the church's website. "I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell. And it's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who are taught that from understanding that they need a savior."

Broun also said that he believes the Earth is about 9,000 years old and that it was made in six days. Those beliefs are held by fundamentalist Christians who believe the creation accounts in the Bible to be literally true.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Rep-Paul-Broun-Evolution-lie...
God Bless America

Views: 248

Replies to This Discussion

Why does this not surprise me?

Well it surprised me. A doctor who's absolutely nuts is bad enough, but to be in this position of influence, and running again unopposed ... 

This guy's on the House Science Committee?  What easy requirements do they have for someone to be one that committee?

There are two, I think:

1. Breathe
  2. Be a congressperson

That's about it.

Unfortunately, congressmen can ask to be on pretty much whichever committee they want.  It's decided more on desire and some sort of seniority or something along those lines.  Knowledge of a subject isn't factored in at all, as near as I can tell.  Hell, Michelle "Muslim Brotherhood" Bachmann is on the security council or whatever it's called.

It's called the intelligence council.  Ironic isn't it?

It is entirely possible that he is invoking Seneca and just using religion.  Not that he actually believes what he said.

Very sad and disappointing.

Running unopposed, too. *face palm*

Shouldn't there be some language in the law that restricts a position on the science committee to lawmakers who aren't AGAINST science?

I think we need to flood the house science committee with the message that if they're going to let politicians play scientist, it'd better be someone with an education in what actual scientists call "science".

I say we shunt him over to the House Intelligence Committee.

If a Baptist fundamentalist with less than zero scientific knowledge can serve on the 

House Committee on Science, can an atheist scientist get a job as a Baptist pastor?  It only seems fair.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service