Angels: Nearly 8 In 10 Americans Believe These Ethereal Beings Are Real

“A new Associated Press-GfK poll shows that 77 percent of adults believe these ethereal beings are real.”

“Belief is primarily tied to religion, with 88 percent of Christians, 95 percent of evangelical Christians and 94 percent of those who attend weekly religious services of any sort saying they believe in angels.”

Sadly, Americans are largely an ignorant and pathetic lot.  Merry Christmyth, everybody.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/23/believing-in-angels_n_1167...

Views: 92

Replies to This Discussion

"Sadly, Americans are largely an ignorant and pathetic lot. Merry Christmyth, everybody"
I totally agree with you here!
Thanks for the article link.

They're convinced that a bearded guy in the clouds made the universe, that he impregnated a virgin with a cosmic jewish zombie, that the final member of the super hero club is a ghost, and that the super heroes' antagonist is a guy living in a pit of fire with horns, a tail, and a pitchfork.  Really, how big a stretch is it to convince them that there are invisible, non-sexual beings, with robes and feathered wings who hover around us and make sure we find our car keys, or don't get mangled by a speeding train? The only thing that really surprises me is that they don't also believe in unicorns or Sponge Bob Square Pants.

People who believe ethereal beings are real are not "touched by an angel." They're just touched.

“Belief is primarily tied to religion"

Ummm... I'd like to hear more about any atheists who believe in angels. Isn't religion a *prerequisite* for believing in angels?

Annonce publique

Le surnaturel n'existe pas. Il n'y a pas des fantômes, des anges, des diables ou des dieux.

Google translation to English: Public Announcement. The supernatural does not exist. There are no ghosts, angels, devils or gods.

Similarly, “There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.”

-- Anne Nicol Gaylor

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service