Catholic League president Bill Donohue explains why the Catholic League is starting a new initiative aimed at atheists:

Approximately 80 percent of Americans are Christian, and 96 percent celebrate Christmas. Of the 20 percent who are not Christian, non-believers make up the largest segment, though the number of self-identified atheists is tiny. David Silverman, president of American Atheists, knows this to be true, which is why he is frantically trying to inflate his base. “We want people to realize that there may be atheists in their family,” he told the New York Times, “even if those atheists don’t even know they are atheists.”

http://www.catholicleague.org/adopt-an-atheist-campaign-begins/

Views: 313

Replies to This Discussion

Don't these people have anything better to do?  Why the hell do they have to force their delusion on everyone else?

No, they actually don't have better things to do - it's sad really.

It would give their delusion more legitimacy. 

Well, from their perspective, they're only doing the same thing we are with our books on atheism, talk-show appearances, lectures, TV shows and such.  Never mind the fact that we've got to increase our media coverage more than 1,000-fold to come close to what they've already got sprayed all over the airwaves ... err, the cable TV lines (not really in the air, anymore).

I understand why they're doing it.  I just think they're being incredibly foolish about it, thinking they're going to turn a rational, skeptical atheist back into a theist (even more foolish to think they're going to turn someone who wasn't indoctrinated from birth into one).  It's the sort of bullshit they push about Christianity being the thinking man's religion.  Clearly a lot of them have convinced themselves of their own bullshit.

Believe in Nothing, Stand for Nothing and be Good for Nothing ?

Burn in your Hell !

I saw the headline and assumed this was an atheist idea - maybe to "adopt", or provide support for atheists who had been disowned by their parents.

Heh, alas, no.  Just another fucked up Catholic idea.

This highlights the absolute intolerance of catholics/christians. Believe or burn in hell.

I have to question what kind of mind control takes place here when people are so intent on "It's my way or the highway" and to have such lethal consequences for not doing so - eternity burning in hell.

I will never stop being amazed at the shock christians feel when confronted by atheism. The gathering of the masses only alludes to world domination and brain washing - and ultimately money. The more to donate....

It is only when you look from the outside in, that you can see the hypocrisy and ridiculousness of it all.

Did you hear? the pope turned on the vatican christmans lights via his Ipad. I wonder if his god-wifi service is the fastest on the planet?

I wonder if any Christian reading that article is dumb enough to try and adopt one of us.

I am guessing - yes.

Notice it ends with some  nice libel against atheists:

'As an added bonus, they will no longer be looked upon as people who "believe in nothing, stand for nothing and are good for nothing."'

Note the quote marks - who is he quoting?  Himself?.

I wonder if we offer ourselves for adoption will they pay our bills for us?

Didn't Hemant Mehta (not sure if spelled his name right) already sell his soul on e-bay?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Craigart14 replied to Michael Penn's discussion Hitchens And Williams in Hell - Theists In A Fog
3 minutes ago
eric stone replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
3 minutes ago
The Flying Atheist replied to Loren Miller's discussion Local Color in the Neighborhood in the group Hang With Friends
3 minutes ago
eric stone replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
5 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
6 minutes ago
9 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
11 minutes ago
Idaho Spud commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
13 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
17 minutes ago
23 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
26 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
27 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service