Here in Virginia, we have good reason to be angered by the actions of Congressman, Randy Forbes (VA-4th district). Forbes (founder of the Congressional Prayer Caucus) has introduced a bill, H. Res. 34, which would declare:

“Whereas the Holy Bible is God’s Word,”
“Whereas in Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address, he referred to God 14 times, to verses in the Holy Bible 4 times, and invoked prayer 3 times in 701 words,”
“Whereas with the Obama inauguration on January 20, 2009, we, with God’s help, rededicate ourselves anew to the eternal tasks before us necessary to ensure for generations to come that our ‘government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth."

Among other things. Please, if you are in his district (or just upset), write him and let him know that you care more about the Constitution than the Bible: http://forbes.house.gov/zipauth.html
There's no way this will ever make it out of committee, but we still shouldn't be silent on the topic. This is a clear violation of the establishment clause.

**cross-posted in Virginia Atheists group**

Tags: bible, clause, congress, constitution, establishment, forbes, god, holy, obama, prayer

Views: 12

Replies to This Discussion

All that, just to place the Lincoln-Obama Bible on permanent display upon the Lincoln table at the Capitol Visitor Center... There's no reason to oppose that action on its own, as the aforementioned bible is a historical artifact, but all the added god-fluff is just a slap in the face of our secular nation.
Thanks for posting this. I don't even know why I looked to see if my congressman was a co-sponsor. I knew he was without even looking.

The wording of the bill isn't even correct. It says that every president has been sworn in with his hand upon the bible. J.Q. Adams was sworn in with a book of laws and Theodore Roosevelt did not use a bible either.
John Boozman?
Yeah, John "The Second Coming" Boozman. Arkansas, the home of Governor Pastor Mike Huckabee.
I'm almost afraid to ask, but why do you call him John "The Second Coming" Boozman?
He's quick to co-sponsor any legislation that blurs the separation between church and state. He prefers to legislate from the pulpit to his congregation rather than being bothered by that oath he took to support and defend the Constitution.
Wouldn't let me comment because I'm not in his district. Fine way to dodge the issue!
I'm not in his district either, but still close by. Use the 23320 area code, it worked for me even though I still entered my correct city as Newport News, VA.

Alternatively, you can contact his campaign office as listed on his campaign web site:

Physical Address:
524 Johnstown Road
Chesapeake, VA 23322

Mailing Address:
PO Box 15100
Chesapeake, VA 23328-5100
Phone: 757-547-1000
Fax: 757-436-4765
Email: randy@randyforbes.com

Or, if any of the co-sponsors represent your state or district, contact them:
Rep. John Boozman [R, AR]
Rep. Ken Calvert [R, CA]
Rep. Gerald Connolly [D, VA] (I just noticed this other Virginian rep, so I'm writing to him as well)
Rep. Scott Garrett [R, NJ]
Rep. Doug Lamborn [R, CO]
Rep. Todd Platts [R, PA]
Rep. Steven Rothman [D, NJ]
Rep. Joe Sestak [D, PA]
Rep. Zach Wamp [R, TN]
Done!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service