Tell us about your gear and why you use it. Here is my rig:
(Note - all gear is rack mounted unless otherwise noted)

2 4 X 12 Peavy cabinets with Celestion G12T 'Hot 100' speakers.
1 Gemini P601 stereo power amp 200 watts per side - 4 ohm load.
1 Alesis 24 bit digital effects unit
2 TJ Raxx tube preamps
1 Johnson J Station Amp modeler - not racked with floor switch
1 Crybaby Wah Wah pedal - not racked
All connection via Monster Cables

Guitars:

1 Ibanez RG 270 DX Wizard II 2 octave neck 2nd octave scalloped
Bridge and Neck pickups - Seymour Duncan SH-8 triple coils
Mid pickup - Seymour Duncan 'Hot Stack' single/dual coil switchable
Floyd Rose floating Tremelo

1 Yamaha SE 700 HE 22 fret neck
Bridge and Neck pickups - Seymour Duncan SH-8 triple coils
Floyd Rose floating Tremelo

I like the convenience of rack mount equipment - it saves me time since I can leave all that gear cabled up. The Johnson J station amp modeler is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I can set everything clean on the preamps and emulate anything from a super clean Hartley-Thompson to a dual rectified growling Mesa Boogie. The Alesis digital effects unit give me my delay and is super accurate and clean. Add the Crybaby (so I can get my Hendrix off) and this is a very versatile setup for anything from country to the heaviest rock. Of the 2 guitars (my acoustic is a cheap Ovation and doesn't count!) the Ibanez is my favorite. It has a great fast neck, superior tone and sustain like you wouldn't believe. The Seymour Duncan pickups are the best rock pickups I have ever heard. The tone they produce in either a clean or distorted amp sound are excellent. And the fact that I can switch them between single and dual coil give me a tremendous range of sounds.

Tell us about your stuff....

Views: 92

Replies to This Discussion

My setup is not too fancy, I play a Fender Jazz bass with Lindy Fralin vintage jazz custom pickups. I use an Ampeg SVT3 PRO head powering an Ampeg 4x10 extended low range cabinet (weighs a ton...)
*Shrugs* why not. Cock Gear Fight!

Guitar:
Schecter Hellraiser 6 and 7 string
Digitech GNX4 effects board
Line 6 Flextone Amp (want to sell but need a good replacement)

Bass:
Traben Phoenix 5 String
Ampeg B-4R stack
Bass Pod XT

Keyboards/Midi
Korg TR-76
M-Audio Axiom
M-Audio Oxygen 8

DAW/Soft Synths
Logic 8
Reason 4
ReFX Nexus
Buttload of plugins, primarily Audio Damage, Melodyne, and some Waves ripoffs.

Recording gear:
Cad Trion 8000
Art tube preamp
Presonus Firebox
Alesis Multimix
Shure 57s and 58s (looking to trade these in for some Audix eventually)
I have the same gear I did when I was 16 (11years ago) Squire Jazz bass and Fender BXR. I have never had enough money to dedicate to upgrading them. And now My sights are set high (Warwick and AMPEG) that it will take a windfall before I can justify buying them
Most of the time, I use a Washburn D10-S acoustic or a cheap-ish Goldtone banjo.

I keep it simple.

When I play electric, though, I'm usually playing an ESP Xtone PC-2V (old-school setup with the JB and Jazz pickup set) through a Sovtek Mig-50 head and an Avatar 2x12" cab. As far as effects, I really only use a little MXR Distortion+ pedal (I've tried many, many distortion pedals over the years, and the MXR is the best on the market by far - most of the time I'm content with the natural tube distortion I get just cranking the volume and presence on my amp, though).

I've also done a lot of experiments running electric guitars through tape decks and DVD players and stuff, too, but I'm trying not to write a novel here.
Well, I like to travel light, and as a bass player it is hard to do. I use a Gallien Krueger MBS-III head with the two 12" speaker cabinets. 150W RMS, but it really puts out for such a small amp. My bass is a Godin BG-5... 5 string, active electronics with a EQ, and a slap contour circuit for extra crisp highs when slappin' and poppin'. I like using effects a bit, but I don't need a big rack, so I use a Zoom B2 effects unit. It really is a nice little piece of hardware for the money. I happened on it by chance, and when I tried it out it had some really nice effects and a descent tuner.
And I like to record all my jams so I can listen to them later and critique my playing. I think it has made me a better player for sure. I have been using a Zoom H4 digital stereo/4-track recorder for about three years now and I love it. I just set it up on a tripod, and it has built-in stereo mics.
I have some mp3's posted at myspace.com/ronvb and some were recorded with the Zoom H4.

Cheers!

BTW, I used to use a big 400W beast of an amp, but when I researched more compact amps I found my current Gallien-Krueger Microbass. The whole thing with the two cabinets and the head weighs only 45 pounds. My old amp weighed in at like 120 pounds. I have found if I need more power than my MBS can give me, the band I am in is usually playing through a PA anyways.
I'll try to be brief...

Guitars (all left handed...it's a curse): Schecter C1-Classic, Epiphone Les Paul standard, Washburn acoustic

Basses:Mex Fender Jazz, Ibanez SR-500, and a vintage Epiphone Rivoli made in Kalamazoo, MI and in severe need of an expert tech.

Drums: Yamaha Rydeen (good cheap kit) w/Pork Pie snare and various Sabian cymbals

Effects: Mostly EH stuff, my favorites being the Big Muff and the Stereo memory man w/hazarai. Also a Boss ME-50 and a Pod XT for both guitar and bass, and an E-bow and crybaby...

Amps: Carvin V-3 half stack, Fender Frontman for jamming.

Keyboards: Roland something or other (slightly broken) and a big ass furniture sized Technics digital piano/sequencer

Recording: Tascam 2488mkII and Cubase essentials with a variety of "inexpensive" microphones (only in the world of music would something that costs $100 or more be inexpensive.)

That's about it, for now....
That Carvin V-3 is in the top running for my next amp purchase! Thing is beautiful.
Guitars: Jackson WRMG, Yamaha Pacifica

Amps: Marshall 100w HDFX, Marshall 100w DFX

Processor: Zoom gfx8

Pedal: Damage Control Demonizer
\m/
Cheers
Drums- I play an older set of Pearls with Camber cymbals. They are kind of beat up but I love the deep and rich sound I get form them, would probably be even better if I would just buy new heads. Self taught on an old set of CB700 Internationale that I haven't set up in ages, but still own.
For the quick and easy:

Chris:
Fender Strat (Mexican)
Vox AC30 combo
sfx: Moogerfooger Ring Modulator, Boss DD-6 (delay), Digitech Whammy (pitch shift), Visual Sound H2O (chorus/echo), Boss PH-3 (Phase), Boss V-Wah (wah-wah), BBE Sonic Maximizer, Vox Satchurator, Boss GE-7 (Eq), DOD 280 (compressor), Boss GT-8 (multi-effects modulator)
Micro Korg

Myself:
Electra X135
Yahmaha 20w (soon to be replaced)
sfx: Danelectra Fab tone, Digitech RP-50 (multi-effect), Ibanez Chorus/Flange, Electro-Harmonix stereo Memory Man (Delay, Chorus)
Rolland X-A

Cole:
Schecter Stiletto Studio-5 Left-Handed Bass
Kustom Groove Bass

John:
Tama kit with pitch black cymbals.

Cheers.
www.weareprometheus.com
I have a Fender acoustic guitar and a Dean acoustic-electric bass guitar (4 string).

'65 Harmony H22 single cutaway and a '71 Harmony H22/1 double cutaway. Both stock with the standard DeArmond pickup.

Gallien-Krueger 800RB head

Hartke XL Cabinet.

No effect boxes

I used to play a '65 Fender Precision but I sold it when it started putting knots in my shoulder :-)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Sentient Biped replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
24 minutes ago
Christine replied to Sentient Biped's discussion If Atheists spoke to religious people the way religious people speak to atheists"
26 minutes ago
Christine replied to sflmac's discussion God cured Doctor's Ebola disease.
29 minutes ago
John Jubinsky liked Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life
32 minutes ago
John Jubinsky replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
32 minutes ago
Christine replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
34 minutes ago
sflmac posted a discussion
36 minutes ago
ShroudedAtheist joined Steph S.'s group
36 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Flying Spaghetti Monster invades heaven.
47 minutes ago
Meri Weathers shared Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion on Google +1
48 minutes ago
Meri Weathers liked Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life
48 minutes ago
ShroudedAtheist joined David Thornton's group
49 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service