All Discussions Tagged 'morality' (29)

← Back to Atheist Morality
Discussions Replies Latest Activity

What avoiding germs has to do with democracy, dictatorship, and our most cherished beliefs

An interesting article. This could also relate to conservatives (but not liberals) valuing purity as a moral standard and being more sensit…

Started by Grinning Cat

5 Apr 12
Reply by Ruth Anthony-Gardner

How Religion can make you happy to kill! - Thunderf00t

We talk a lot about the aberrant nature of religion and how its "morality" is so badly skewed by a deity who does as he/she/it pleases and…

Started by Loren Miller

6 Jan 14
Reply by Loren Miller

Thinking about science increases morality

Just Thinking about Science Triggers Moral Behavior This study reveals that we feel a deep connection between science and morality. Researc…

Started by Ruth Anthony-Gardner

0 Aug 27, 2013

Markets suspend morality

Do Markets Erode Moral Values? People Ignore Their Own Moral Standards When Acting as Market Participants, Researchers Say You loathe cruel…

Started by Ruth Anthony-Gardner

5 May 13, 2013
Reply by A Former Member

Frans de Waal's Bottom-Up Morality: We're Not Good Because Of God

In a book coming out next week called The Bonobo and the Atheist, primatologist Frans de Waal argues that morality is built into our specie…

Started by A Former Member

2 Apr 22, 2013
Reply by A Former Member

Excuses, excuses, excuses

I've been cleaning out my inbox and I ran across this blog post that a friend sent to me way back in 2008. It just got buried and forgotten…

4 May 13, 2012
Reply by A Former Member

The biochemistry of love and empathy

An interesting interview on oxytocin and how it may affect our moral impulses.  - Dallas   The biochemistry of love and empathy   In his la…

2 May 12, 2012
Reply by A Former Member

Does Pinker’s “Better Angels” Undermine Religious Morality?

Fairly decent blog post. Just copying a few select paragraphs below. - Dallas   By now, the decline of violence should be clear (if you’re…

0 Nov 7, 2011

Empathy and the Origins of Cruelty

Empathy and the Origins of Cruelty How important is our brain’s empathy circuit and what happens to society when it doesn’t work properly?…

3 Sep 13, 2011
Reply by A Former Member

The Emotional Dog and Its Rational Tail: A Social Intuitionist Approach to Moral Judgment

This is an excellent paper that introduces Jonathan Haidt's social intuitionist theory of moral judgment. It is rather long, but well worth…

6 Aug 20, 2011
Reply by A Former Member

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service