I originally posted this question in the Atheists who love Science! Forum. The feedback has been great and sometimes a little comical, so I decided to also post it in the Athiest Humor forum to share the fun.

I am writing an opinion piece and would like participation in this informal survey.
Wanted to include most of the reasons people use to pick a religion, or think influence people to pick a religion (since many now claim atheism is just another religion). It does sound silly when they are reversed to be reasons of religion abandonment (for perspective).
I know the question is fundamentally wrong and the answers seem silly, but it is to help keep the selection narrow and to prove/disprove my hypothesis:

How were you convinced to become an Atheist?
(Select the most applicable single answer)
A) A billboard (or sign)
B) A book
C) A miracle
D) I’m not an atheist
E) I don’t know
F) I wasn’t convinced, it was a realization of who I was
G) A specific person (not an authored book)
H) I was mad at my god(s)
I) I have always been an atheist
J) My god is an atheist, therefore I am an atheist
K) By physical or verbal threats
L) I signed a contract and now I’m stuck being an atheist
M) I had to become atheist to marry my spouse
N) Atheists are cool, and I wanted to be like them
O) Other (please explain in one sentence)

Views: 52

Replies to This Discussion

G) The straw that broke the camel's back for me was an atheist co-worker who first introduced me to the "problem of evil".
I wasn’t convinced, it was a realization of who I was and after growing up in the 7th day adventist church.
B. A book - the Bible. Finally reading it made me realize how horrible and, ultimately, ridiculous it is.
I

I was raised a christian and I went to church every Sunday until I was 16. When I was around 12 years old I realized that there was no way there is any god, and that believing the bible is even more ridiculous.

B - Actually 2 books. The first was the play Inherit the Wind which I read when I was about 13 in the early 1960's.  I then went and then read the Bible.  The conclusion was "You've got to be sh&*ting me! What a load of horse manure!"

B - HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
G - Person who suggested the book: My bible studies teacher in 7th grade (LAWLS)
F - "Wait, my CAT isn't going to heaven??" and "Wait, if everyone's 'born into' a specific religion, doesn't that make them all equally acceptable (or falsifiable)?", along with being told by the SDA church who ran the school, that my going to church on Sundays meant I was going to hell.
Satan made me that way.
Mostly F but then G. Gary David Currie.
F and G -- multiple behaviors of individuals who claimed to be good Christians convinced me it was a bunch of bull&*#%

B: The World Book Encyclopedia AND G : A PUBLIC school teacher in Stuttgart, AR.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

k.h. ky commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
6 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
29 minutes ago
Soren Sagan commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
30 minutes ago
The Flying Atheist commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
57 minutes ago
The Flying Atheist commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Amy commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Daniel W commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Jim B posted a photo
1 hour ago
Loren Miller commented on Dyslexic's DOG's blog post Wendy Wright (Creationist) arguably the Dumbest Person I've Ever Seen on Youtube!
1 hour ago
Frank Moorman posted a status
"Heading to Las Vegas this weekend and hope to see the Tree of Knowledge, decorated with book covers, posted by the LV Coalition of Reason."
2 hours ago
Frank Moorman updated their profile
2 hours ago
Frank Moorman posted a status
"I signed up here four years ago, but did not participate, what with life taking some interesting turns. So I'll try again."
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service