I originally posted this question in the Atheists who love Science! Forum. The feedback has been great and sometimes a little comical, so I decided to also post it in the Athiest Humor forum to share the fun.

I am writing an opinion piece and would like participation in this informal survey.
Wanted to include most of the reasons people use to pick a religion, or think influence people to pick a religion (since many now claim atheism is just another religion). It does sound silly when they are reversed to be reasons of religion abandonment (for perspective).
I know the question is fundamentally wrong and the answers seem silly, but it is to help keep the selection narrow and to prove/disprove my hypothesis:

How were you convinced to become an Atheist?
(Select the most applicable single answer)
A) A billboard (or sign)
B) A book
C) A miracle
D) I’m not an atheist
E) I don’t know
F) I wasn’t convinced, it was a realization of who I was
G) A specific person (not an authored book)
H) I was mad at my god(s)
I) I have always been an atheist
J) My god is an atheist, therefore I am an atheist
K) By physical or verbal threats
L) I signed a contract and now I’m stuck being an atheist
M) I had to become atheist to marry my spouse
N) Atheists are cool, and I wanted to be like them
O) Other (please explain in one sentence)

Views: 47

Replies to This Discussion

I would reply "G" but I'm afraid that they would kick me off this site.
F

H and C because they go together.

"I was mad at my god(s) because of a book."

Oops....I meant H and B!

F

This video helped me to let go of "belief in belief", and a lot of stuff I read (mostly online but in books also).

I would say partly C (the bible) but mostly F.
F

O-Other   My inability to reconcile religion with scientific fact led me to be an atheist

---and then eventually that led to F   :)

'F' & probably 'I'. I remember 'trying' to believe when young, but couldn't. All I was noticing as a kid was seeing one thing & hearing another, & both were hypocritical.
G)  My sons encouraged discussions about religion and that gave me the information/verification I needed to admit that religion is man-made, although I was skeptical for years.  My sons, who are now 21 & 25, attended a roman catholic grade school and a Byzantine Orthodox school for high school........and they both considered themselves atheists before they graduated! :D
Grats on having awesome kids!

(B)

I don't remember what lead me to first question religion and theism, but I know that reading The God Delusion made me more comfortable calling myself atheist rather than trying to fence-sit with the label agnostic (which I now know was an inappropriate use of the term anyway).

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Freethinker 31 replied to Russell Pangborn's discussion Atheist Reasoning on Gun Control in the U.S
6 minutes ago
Craigart14 replied to Russell Pangborn's discussion Atheist Reasoning on Gun Control in the U.S
9 minutes ago
John Jubinsky replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion THE ORIGINS OF US ALL—BY DNA GENETIC ANALYSIS in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
18 minutes ago
Freethinker 31 commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Religion as Mental Disorder
19 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to James M. Martin's discussion Question for All Who Read This Posting
20 minutes ago
John Jubinsky replied to John Jubinsky's discussion John Jubinsky's DNA Testing Results in the group DNA Tested Nonbelievers
21 minutes ago
Freethinker 31 liked Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Religion as Mental Disorder
21 minutes ago
Pat replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Channel Will Launch by the End of the Month in the group Atheist News
26 minutes ago
James M. Martin posted discussions
45 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Channel Will Launch by the End of the Month in the group Atheist News
54 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion In the Middle East, Some Atheists Fake-Fast During Ramadan To Avoid Detection in the group Atheist News
55 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion "I Accepted Jesus and I'm Not Gay Anymore"
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service