On Tuesday, however, Pat Robertson said that God told him the nation's downfall would be triggered by an economic collapse. He suggested that God told him this would come about if Obama was elected to another term.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/03/pat-robertson-president-20...

Views: 246

Replies to This Discussion

We know that God (or god or gods) has/have particular fondness for America.  After the Israelites repeatedly sinned and incurred god's wrath, their status as "chosen people" was withdrawn.  Having your city sacked and your people expelled from your homeland has a tendency to bespeak no longer enjoying god's favor.  So from ~140 AD to 1607 AD (settlement in Jamestown), God was lonely and bereft of a chosen people to favor.  Then in 1607 he settled on America as the place to reassert himself, and we've been his anointed ever since.  Predictably, every American president has dutifully professed faith and fealty to god.

But here's my question:  Carter, Clinton and Obama all profess Christian faith, and yet they are dismissed as charlatans and imposters.  Reagan and the Bushes profess Christian faith, and are embraced as the genuine article.  Does this mean that God is a Republican?  And does this mean that Christians should quit worrying about original sin, about being part of the Calvinist Elect and all that... and instead just check their political party affiliation? 

My response is to be even more cynical of both Republican and Democratic parties and policies; they are both based on money that buys the Executive, Legislative and Judicial branches of government. They even go so far as to corrupt research paid for by taxpayers. 

If Carter, Clinton and Obama all profess to be Christians, what does that mean? Well, it depends; some believe accept Christ as lord and savior and all sins are forgiven, others say god reward those who believe and wealth is one sign of god's approval, others believe they are the chosen ones and have a right to dominion over all that is, was, and ever will be. 

If Reagan, H.W.Bush and G. Bush profess to be christian, then show me evidence of such belief. Did any of them care for the working man? Did any of them make a living by doing benevolent labor? Did any of them us their "power" whatever that is, to benefit themselves or to strengthen the fabric of USA and all its citizens? In my opinion, they were manipulators and exploiters.  

http://books.google.com/books?id=D-EbwET7GHgC&pg=PA66&lpg=P...

Tainted Truth: The manipulated facts of advertising in America. Cynthia Crossen. 

I figure all Presidents 'have' to be Christian. They simply could not get elected if they weren't. Which surprises me a great deal that Mormon Romney has gotten this far. I would have thought that the Tea Party and friends would have gotten rid of him already.

A recent poll said that Americans would vote for a gay president rather than an atheist one. I know not to take these generic polls to seriously but still an interesting equation ( I think I saw this on the Keith Olberman show).

"Does this mean that God is a Republican?"

If there were a god, it would be republican because republicans would say it was.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service