On Tuesday, however, Pat Robertson said that God told him the nation's downfall would be triggered by an economic collapse. He suggested that God told him this would come about if Obama was elected to another term.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/03/pat-robertson-president-20...

Views: 247

Replies to This Discussion

nice heh heh

I've said before and will repeat that "talking to god" isn't a dialog; it's a MONOLOG, a self-generated conversation between a person and what that person imagines his deity to be. The product of this conversation, as a result, can be anything that person wants it to be, which opens Pandora's Box and rather widely.

Now me, I talk to myself ... frequently, sometimes. It helps me to keep organized, especially when I'm multitasking. I've been known to answer myself, even argue with myself ... though I haven't interrupted myself! [grin!] In all of that, I know who is talking and who is listening. What sometimes scares the whee outta me is that the believers either cannot or do not recognize this or even want to.

Most of my "talking to god" includes a lot of cussing at the work of engineers from all different  fields.

Jim Huber (of "Kissing Hank's Ass" fame) said it well:

Q: How can you be absolutely certain there is no God?

A: I don't need to be absolutely certain there is no God to be an atheist, I just have to be reasonably certain that when people pray that I get hit by lightning, they're really just talking to themselves.

i talk to mesef too, it drives my wife up the wall tho, so i dont get to do it much, cept when im on the toilet.

So, god told the 'ole Rev. Pat who the next Prez is going to be - and he ain't sayin'. This reminds me of the Tom Robbins book, Another Road Side Attraction, where the body of Jesus is hid out at a hot dog stand in Oregon. In it, there is an orangutan that cheats at chess, and is the only living creature that knows the one word in the English language that rhymes with "orange." And he ain't sayin' either.

Though, to be fair, the orangutan is a much more interesting character.

Do you think he's not telling us because he doesn't want to look like a fool when he is wrong or he really has some inside knowledge or he will get in trouble for directly telling his viewers who they should vote for. By the way he was talking about how bad things were going to get, god must have told him Obama was the one.

If you don't tell anyone what god said to you, then you can always change your statement later, I mean look at what happened to Harold Camping, he spoke out and made a fool of himself, though I am pretty sure he made a lot of money out of it too, so maybe looking like a nut in public isn't so bad for your bank account.

I honestly don't think Pat Robertson is all that concerned about looking like a fool. Sandi is right. As long as the rubes who watch him keep feeding his bank account, appearing foolish is the least of his concerns.

I find it amusing that God takes such an interest in American politics.

Of course he does.  God doesn't give a fuck about any other country.  If you aren't American, no need to pray.  He ain't listening.

the idea that anyone takes pat robertson seriously is simply appalling. utterly. yet he remains so a whole bunch of people have to be sending him money every week. this is even more appalling to me.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service