Feel free to add the experiences you have encountered with religiosity at the workplace.

Tags: Employee, business, experiences, religiosity, workplace

Views: 2

Replies to This Discussion

Freethinker,

Sorry to hear you had to endure such treatment that obviously was issued from narrow minds.

Of those that harassed you, other than being Xtian, were there other common elements they possessed?
It would be wise for more atheists to reflect on your experience. Most of the time it is a waste to present anti religious ideas to a fundamentalists and, to a large degree, to moderate religious people. They will not be able to understand. It is better to expose them to positive behavior by conspicuous atheists. One can not argue with behavior. Unfortunately, most atheists are unable to break the chains that our religiously based culture has on us. If they could, many atheists would be conspicuous in public without being confrontative. Exposing the religious to the good behavior of people who have an alternative viewpoint is imperative if we want to stimulate change in the public's perception.
Dr Offats,

I can well understand the "Have Jesus Kinda Day" feeling.

How would it be if you just happened to have the superstitious observance that you found the members of Charles Manson's family always seemed so serene whenever they were photographed.

How would it be taken if you took glee in sending emails with Have a Manson Family Kinda Day, complete with pictures of the Manson Family.

You could decide to cherry-pick facts and decide to ignore anything the family ever did, and just select to find their style of photogenic appearance to be worthy of worship.

How long do you think you could persist with doing that before there was an outcry?

On a separate issue; - What interaction does the management of the hospital have in setting the agenda re: religiosity?
Better yet, send along a "Have a Jellyfish Kinda Day"!!

I LOVE MY JOB . . . . . . If you don't laugh out loud after you read this you are in a coma! Thisis even funnier when you realize it's real! Next time you have a bad dayat work think of this guy. Rob is a commercial saturation diver for Global Divers in Louisiana ..He performs underwater repairs on offshore drilling rigs. Below is an E-mail he sent to his sister. She then sent it to radio station 103.2 on FM dial in Ft. Wayne , Indiana , who was sponsoring a worst job experience contest. Needless to say, she won.
Hi Sue, Just another note from your bottom-dwelling brother. Last week I had a bad day at the office. I know you've been feeling down lately at work, so I thought I would share my dilemma with you to make you realize it's not so bad after all . Before I can tell you what happened to me, I first must bore you with a few technicalities of my job. As you know, my office lies at the bottom of the sea. I wear a wet suit to the office. This time of year the water is quite cool.So what we do to keep warm is this: We have a diesel powered industrial water heater. This $20,000 piece of equipment sucks the water out of the sea. It heats it to a delightful temperature, then pumps it down to the diver through a garden hose, which is taped to the air hose. Now this sounds like a darn good plan, and I've used it several times with no complaints. What I do, when I get to the bottom and start working, is take the hose and stuff it down the back of my wet suit. This floods my whole suit with warm water. It's like working in a Jacuzzi. Everything was going well until all of a sudden, my butt started to itch. So, of course, I scratched it. This only made things worse.Within a few seconds my butt started to burn. I pulled the hose out from my back, but the damage was done. In agony I realized what had happened. The hot water machine had sucked up a jellyfish and pumped it into mysuit. Now, since I don't have any hair on my back, the jellyfishcouldn't stick to it However, the crack of my butt was not as fortunate. When I scratched what I thought was an itch, I was actually grinding thejellyfish into the crack of my butt. I informed the dive supervisor of my dilemma over the communicator. His instructions were unclear due to the fact that he, along with five other divers, were all laughing hysterically. Needless to say I aborted the dive. When I arrived at the surface, I was wearing nothing but my brasshelmet. As I climbed out of the water, the medic, with tears of laughter runningdown his face, handed me a tube of cream and told me to rub it on my butt The cream put the fire out, but I couldn't poop for two days because my butt was swollen shut. So, next time you're having a bad day at work, think about how much worse it would be if you had a jellyfish shoved up your butt. Now repeat to yourself, "I love my job, I love my job, I love my job."
(Guess who the "jellyfish" in this case would be.)
Crystal,

Glad you shared that with us. Love it.
omg im never going diving again!!
I work in a less formal environment, running and repairing large machines for a factory. Corporate takes no stance toward religion whatsoever, which I respect. My co-workers, on the other hand, seem to be mostly religious people.

The usual "WWJD" shirts and cross pendants don't bother me too much, because they're everywhere.

What really bothers me are the flyers. Evangelical in nature, these attempt to scare the reader by threatening that they will go to hell if they are not saved... then they offer to do the saving for you and send you a Bible if you fill out the back and mail it to them with a check for $12.95.

I've had several of my co-workers tell me that I'm going to go to hell because I do not believe in God. I have a big tattoo and I wear black t-shirts, so these crazies automatically assume that I'm headed straight to hell.

I like to tell them, "If there is a hell, I'll hold the door for ya."
Seeing WWJD makes me laugh
I saw that for the first time years ago and asked my then boyfriend
what it stood for
He said it stood for Wank With Jesus Daily lol
I said it does not and asked him to tell me what it really stood for
and he just kept saying he was pretty sure he was correct
Now whenever I see that WWJD I cant help but think of his version before I can make my brain find the one that its supposed to have
Just like my poor brain cant get over that meaning lol
I work for a company where the owners and many of the employees are fundamentalist christians. They haven't got flyers floating around or any overt propaganda. They actually haven't bothered me at all. Lucky me! However, while walking through the plant one day, I found they've been quietly infiltrated! On the side of one of the machines was a sticker of his holiness, the FSM! Apparently, the employees thought they were making stickers for a company that makes PASTA! Little do they realize, they've all been touched by his noodly appendage :)
Thats funny Tracy
So its like a printing company you work for?
They make signs, like stop signs, speed limit signs, safety signs & yes even stickers :)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
9 minutes ago
John Jubinsky liked Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Leader of the Church of England doubts the existence of god
13 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man liked Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Punk Rock Anarchiste Français (écoutez la musique)
13 minutes ago
John Jubinsky replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Leader of the Church of England doubts the existence of god in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
13 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion How to Have Your Fake and Beat it, Too: Atheists Refused Right to Give Invocation in the group Atheism & the Law
36 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Eco-Logical: A Group for Environmentalists
47 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to MattyLJ's discussion Are you clean and organized?
55 minutes ago
Freethinker31 posted a discussion
59 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to James M. Martin's discussion How to Have Your Fake and Beat it, Too: Atheists Refused Right to Give Invocation in the group Atheism & the Law
1 hour ago
James M. Martin replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Leader of the Church of England doubts the existence of god in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion How to Have Your Fake and Beat it, Too: Atheists Refused Right to Give Invocation in the group Atheism & the Law
1 hour ago
booklover commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service