Comics are known for superheroes. If you read or have read comics, you most likely had a few superhero titles in your pull list every week. Although I've slacked off on my comics due to financial reasons, I still read a few superhero titles, but I also have an affinity for some really great non-superhero stuff that's out there. If you don't read anything sans spandex, here are my suggestions:

Fables (Vertigo)

100 Bullets (Vertigo)

Scalped (Vertigo)

Ex Machina (Wildstorm)

Y: The Last Man (Vertigo)

Fell (Image)

Non superhero titles are many and various, but these are just a few that I'm attached to. If you have any you'd suggest that I didn't mention, post 'em!

Views: 15

Replies to This Discussion

I have to throw out a couple of my favourites:
Transmetropolitan and DMZ.
Transmet is good, but Warren Ellis has to be the scariest man in comics since Alan Moore, and just as odd. Luckily, that makes for good comics apparently.
I enjoyed what I read of Bone, I just need to go back and read the rest. I also love Mouse Guard. I read the first issue of Wheel of Time (since I loved the books), but it's one of those independent publishers that miss deadlines (the next issue was due at the end of June/beginning of July, but nothing is mentioned of it on their website).
This may sound silly, but I particularly enjoy The Mice Templar.
Bone is superb. I had the one volume edition, but let someone borrow it...then proceeded to forget who had it. So, it's on my wishlist again. Lame.

I read RA Salvatore's Dark Elf trades simply because I love the actual books. They were decent, but not nearly the caliber of the novels.

I haven't read Mouse Guard or Mice Templar, but a friend of mine loves both...gonna have to check them out.
Oh, duh, and I've been reading Sherlock Holmes (just got the most recent issue)...while highly intelligent, he is not a superhero. :-)
What publisher does that one?
Sherlock Holmes is published by Dynamite Entertainment. I just finished issue #4. :-)
I´d like to add : V for victory and Sandman, but I don´t know, if and how they´re published in the states...
totally forgot - if you´re a gamer, a "must have" : knights of the dinner table and dork towers.
Sandman was released here in the states. The whole Vertigo line is what dragged me further into the comic world ... much to the dismay of my finances at the time. They were released as issues and then collected as trades and hard covers...and yeah I had to buy all the hard covers and art collections and...well you get the picture.

I was mostly reading Vertigo titles for a while, Poison Elves and some of the darker themed independents...
Oh and TMNT counts as non-spandex right ? =)

I'm a little out of the loop these days unfortunately...I'm probably missing out on a lot. Just not sure if that is good or bad :)
Love and Rockets (Fantagraphics) is my favorite comics from the US (Wikipedia link). The Hernandez Brothers rule! I just can't help falling in love with their characters.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service