Taking into consideration some of the following:

1. Great production and direction
2. Great cinematic execution, good photography, sets, costumes, etc.
3. Good and meaningful plot
4. Meaningful thematic development
5. Great acting
6. The stories ability to draw the viewer in
7. The main characters transformation during the process (which is fundamental, I think)
8. The timeless and universally enduring quality of the film
9. Whatever else you might consider

What then do you think are some of the best movies ever made?

Using the above criteria, my top two choices would be To Kill a Mockingbird with Gregory Peck, and Apocalypse Now Redux with Martin Sheen.

Personally, on these kinds of lists that you see floating around, Citizen Kane is always at the top. Yet I fail to see how that could be. I hated Citizen Kane, and I can't help but feel that its classification as The Best Film Ever Made is one of those self-perpetuating lies or mistakes that just keeps being retold and retold because someone sees that list, thinks there must be something in it, and then repeats what they read.

What do you think?

Tags: Cinema, Film, Movies

Views: 296

Replies to This Discussion

I've been very disappointed with Juno, but I suspect it was because of poor dubbing. The French release has Page look like a wisecracking machine who delivers her lines with as little conviction as possible.
The French release has Page look like a wisecracking machine who delivers her lines with as little conviction as possible.

No, the previews in English look about the same.
I think you are thinking of Scarlett Johanson in Ghost Town.
I have never seen Happiness. Curious, now.

Juno is dry, sarcastic and over the top. It has it's ups and downs like most mainstream blockbusters. I don't hate it, I don't love it either.
I just checked the Tomatometer. The 'Top Critics' panel rates Juno as 100% fresh. Ugh.
Oh, you have to see Happiness! Twisted and effed up movie it is!
SHUT UP! Really?
I've never seen The Deer Hunter, and I've never heard of Network. Is that short for something else.
Thanks. I love movies, but I'm not certain the subject matter of these movies would appeal to me, but I can't say that outright. War-related movies don't generally appeal to me, but then again, once I saw Apocalypse Now Redux I loved it. That is a fantastic movie, but of course, it had the benefit of being based on a good book.
YOU never saw The Deer Hunter?? Michal Chimino's masterpiece..first master piece, his second being Heavens Gate.
Network is also outstanding. "Im mad as hell and Im not going to take it anymore!"
Okay, I'll see if I can't get Deer Hunter. Just saw Network a few months ago. It was decent.
Network was prescient in too many ways. Consider what network news looked like back in 1976 when it was made and what goes on now, especially in the light of the excrement proliferated by Faux Noise.

There was a time when the news department of NBC, ABC and CBS were not considered vital profit centers, that their purpose was to provide a public service. Network posited the shift from service to profit, and too much of what it predicted has come true ... more's the pity.
I might give it to "Wild Strawberries" Ingmar Bergman

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service