The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition (2000), directed by George Butler

The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition (2000), directed by George Butler

I just watched this amazing documentary a couple of nights ago. I love these true adventure stories of mankind facing down unimaginable threats to life and limb, and yet still surviving. The documentary is about Ernest Shackleton’s 1914 expedition to cross the Antarctic continent. His ship, The Endurance, becomes trapped in and eventually crushed by sea ice, preventing the crew from ever reaching dry land. They survived on the ice for 635 days by eating seals, polar bears, and their sled dogs, and eventually made it to some remote island outposts by rowing across the open sea in the 3 remaining lifeboats.

The film consists of actual expedition archival photographs and film (the vast majority of which did not survive), modern day scenic footage, and reenactments. This is an amazing story of courage and survival.

There are quite a few DVDs and books on Shackleton and this adventure listed on Amazon.com, but I have not seen any of those.

Both the Amazon.com and the IMBD.com product descriptions are pretty inadequate, so here is the wikipedia.com page:

The Endurance is a 2000 documentary film directed by George Butler about Ernest Shackleton's failed Antarctic expedition in 1914. The Endurance was the name of the ship of Shackleton's expedition.

Although the South Pole had already been discovered, Shackleton set out to cross Antarctica via the pole, and claim the continent for England. Unfortunately the expedition met disastrous results when its ship became trapped in ice and eventually broke apart and sank. Shackleton and his 28-man crew were forced to survive a long polar winter and a hurricane* before ultimately finding rescue through an 800-mile trek in a lifeboat. Remarkably the entire crew of the The Endurance survived. In another amazing circumstance the crew had actually taken a motion picture and still photographer on board with them. Frank Hurley's original film footage was used by Butler along with interviews of surviving relatives to present the story of Shackleton's expedition.

* I think they mean blizzard. I’m pretty sure hurricanes do not occur in the southern hemisphere. - DG

Tags: Antarctic, Ernest Shackleton, The Endurance, adventure, arctic, expedition, ocean

Views: 55

Replies to This Discussion

As a matter of coincidence, this appeared on NPR today: Shackleton's Whisky Is Returning From Antarctic

A team of New Zealand conservators is planning to unearth two crates of Scotch whisky belonging to polar explorer Ernest Shackleton. The crates have been trapped under the Antarctic ice for a century. Host Liane Hansen speaks with Alistair Fastier, of the New Zealand Antarctic Heritage Trust, who will be leading the expedition.
Why couldn't hurricanes occur in the southern hemisphere? I've heard Aussies call the first months of the year the "hurricane season".
I'm not positive, but I thought it had something to do with the difference of land mass and the wind patterns. I didn't research it, but it seems to me that that is what I've heard. Maybe I'm wrong though. In the documentary they don't call it a hurricane. They call it a blizzard or just a storm, I think.
FYI, the Wikipedia entry for blizzard starts with these words: A blizzard (or winter hurricane) is ...

From what I could gather on the web, the later stages of tropical cyclones get different names depending on where they happen. Hurricane (North Atlantic and North-East Pacific), typhoon (North-West Pacific), or cyclone (elsewhere, including the southern hemisphere), seem to actually be only different names for the same thing.
Hmmm...didn't know that. Thanks.
Oh what an amazing watch that was. I ranked it 10/10 on IMDB, I'm not sure it was a fare ranking because I let the 'extras' influence my feelings. Wow, what excellent extras! I thought they were even better than the film itself. I was flabbergasted at the resilience in the face of adversity these people exhibited. Truly our species have developed into weak little princesses haven't we!
I was flabbergasted at the resilience in the face of adversity these people exhibited.

Tell me about it. They were amazingly resilient. Not sure I would have been.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service