Has anyone ever seen Santa Sangre, by Alejandro Jodorowsky? It is a very bizarre film, but one of my favorites. It has been years since I've seen it though. It is a cornucopia of outcasts, and anyone and everyone who has ever been marginalized by society.

The story centers around a family who runs a circus. Infidelity and obsession lead to tragedy, and then things just get worse and more bizarre from then on.

If you haven't seen it, I recommend it. Especially if you like weird movies. Here is another link to it as well.

Tags: Jodorowsky, Oedipus, bizarre, cinema, circus, film, foreign, guilt, movie, murder

Views: 26

Replies to This Discussion

I did see it - years ago - but would agree that it's a cracking film. I do like bizarre cinema and few do it better that Jodorowsky.
I did not like El Topo though. Some stuff is just too densly weird.
I saw it years ago, and would like to see it again. I remember some striking images from the film, but not enough of the film to fully comment.
Oh my, I saw this years ago I've forgotten about it! I'll have to watch it again. Thanks for the reminder. :)

El Topo was a little creepy... but I too like bizarre movies. The amount of controversy surrounding the bird kill was ridiculous! Watched it last March while squatting at my brother's place in Quebec City. He also introduced me to George Lucas' first film THX 1138, so relevant to our society! I loved the little routine of buying little boxes and garbaging them the same night, then buying new ones the next day, adorable.
Addendum: for those who like musical connections with their movies... Nine Inch Nails sampled a clip from this film in one of their songs on downward spiral (can't remember the name). But it's a the point in the film when Duvall is feeding on some hypnotic violent TV and there's a police beating sequence, which goes bam, bam, bam, bam, bam bam bam bam.

NIN' God is dead was instantly a favourite of mine.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service