I have atheists over at my house every two weeks to watch documentaries. We even bought a MPLC license to make it more legal! Anyway, we're looking for some good ideas for some documentaries to watch to further our education. Do you guys have any Suggestions? Here's some that we've seen so far:

For the Bible tells me so - When a Christian fundamentalist family suddenly realizes they have a gay family member
Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial - The Dover case
Flock of Dodos - Investigation of Intelligent design
Expelled: No Intelligence allowed - Ben Stein's ID propaganda film
The Four-Winged Dinosaur - Chinese dino fossil evidence pointing to evolution into birds
Ape Genius - a look at the intelligence of apes
The Last Great Ape - All about Bonobos, those dildo creating sex maniacs
Jesus Camp - Fundies brainwashing kids
Passion of the Christ - Mel Gibson throws Jesus a pity party
Mystery of the Megaflood - Investigation into the repeat megafloods in Oregon's Columbia gorge
A Brief History of Disbelief - BBC documentary about the history of atheism
The Mormons - Frontline documentary of the History of the Mormon Church
Jesus: The complete Story - Discovery Channel documentary about Jesus
The Making of Spore - The Evo-Devo video game
Journey of Man - National Geographic DNA project tracing the origins of Humans
Lost Tribe of Isreal - DNA evidence shows the black tribe in Africa truly are decedents of the Isrealites like they claim.
First Flower - How new DNA evidence is reorganizing the flower tree of life that was created from fossil evidence (Who knew Strawberries and Marijuana were cousins!)
What the Bleep do we know - New Age cult recruitment film which butchers quantum mechanics into a religion
The Secret - Oprah supported new age thinking which butchers quantum mechanics into a bad philosophy.
The Elegant Universe - Brian Green's excellent movie describing string Theory
The God who wasn't There - movie saying that Jesus never existed
Cosmos - Carl Sagan's Ode to Science
Fitna - The controversial Islam movie
Obsession - The other controversial Islam movie

Tags: documentary, movies

Views: 11

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for this list.
Religilous
Waking Life (Really it's a movie)
Beyond Belief (more a series of lectures at a conference)
The Genius of Charles Darwin (self explanatory)
The ascent of man (David Attenborough nuff said)
Deliver us from evil (Pedophile priests)
Justin,
Deliver us from evil. I couldn't sleep for days. That movie sparked endless discussions for weeks. Good pick.
"The Secret" and "What the bleep do we know" are a waste of time. I would recommend watching "HOME", a documentary about global warming and the environment (http://www.youtube.com/homeproject).
Radu,
What the bleep do we know, was recommended to me by a Neurologist. So I assumed a doctor of the mind would have incite to movies that I should value. I was SO wrong. I agree a total waste of time.
Your list is great, but you are missing an absolute classic that every freethinker should see:

Marjoe

You can get it through Netflix. Go look it up. GREAT movie.
Here are a few more:
All are available from Netflix.

The Atheism Tapes (2-Disc Series) (2004)
Six renowned intellectuals debate whether God exists in these fascinating interviews with playwright and atheist Jonathan Miller. Highlights include playwright Arthur Miller discussing the anti-Semitism he's faced and his disbelief in God. Other participants are biologist Richard Dawkins, author of The God Delusion; theologian Denys Turner; physicist Steven Weinberg; and philosophers Daniel Dennett and Colin McGinn.

Cracking the Code of Life: Nova (2001)
ABC "Nightline" correspondent Robert Krulwich lends a lighthearted touch to genetic science in this provocative two-hour NOVA special that takes you inside the amazing, complex and contentious race to decode the human genome. Now armed with the genetic code, medical pioneers are making astonishing breakthroughs that will change medicine as we know it. Could these discoveries eventually lead to cures for diseases such as cancer and Alzheimer's?

Origins: Nova (2-Disc Series) (2004)
Hosted by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, this program reveals the origins and mysteries of the cosmos. The series examines how the Earth was formed, how life on Earth began, the possibility of extraterrestrial life and how the Big Bang resulted in inhabitable planets. Join the scientists as they try to capture echoes of the Big Bang, pose the question "Do aliens already walk among us?" and dig into dozens of other mind-blowing topics.

Blue Planet: IMAX (1990)
Our big, blue marble is as fragile as it is beautiful. That's the message in this IMAX offering that focuses on Earth from a vantage point 200 miles above the planet. Highlights include a computer-animated segment about the San Andreas Fault, a time-lapse thunderstorm sequence and the breathtaking opening section, which shows Earth's horizon moving slowly from the bottom of the screen to the top.

The Four Horsemen (2008)
Rationalist intellectuals Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens discuss their high-profile books opposing religion and the reaction they have received in this compelling program. The conversation includes how contemporary religion affects the world, their ideas for the future, the public response to their books -- both favorable and critical -- typical instances of misrepresentation they've faced and much more.
Oh wow, I'm about to nerdgasm.

I've been on a documentary binge, just soaking up all sorts of information from everywhere.

There are a few documentary series on hulu.

Vanguard is put out by Current and is fantastically good. They do a very good job of showing all different angles of a particular topic. The one about pirates seems more like a frat boy adventure and I would never ask someone to watch that one, the rest are very good.

30 Days is also very good if you're looking for insight but not necessarily a host of facts. I don't feel that it does a good job of going beyond the immediate experience into the core reasons; theoretical, hypothesized, or otherwise. It makes a good effort to do that, but that's not what the documentary advertises itself to be, the immediate problem is what it shows and it does that very well.

The problem with both isn't something inherently wrong with the producers. There's only so much they can do with a half hour to three quarters of an hour of programing for issues and topics that a whole college course should be dedicated to.
Just watched For the Bible Tells Me So. Amazing documentary, highly recommend it.

Evolution: Darwin's Dangerous Idea - the first part of a series called Evolution.
Inside Nature's Giants - EXPLICIT autopsies of a giraffe, a whale, a crocodile, and an elephant with commentary by Richard Dawkins. Provides great insight into homology and is very entertaining if you can stomach it.
Religulous - Though some atheists have been critical of this film, it was the first film to make me accept that being an atheist is okay and really opened the gates for me to abandon my faith.
Wow! Great list. I might add the Atheism Tapes. It's essentially furhter interviews that didn't make it into a Brief History of Disbelief. Good stuff. I've seen a decent number on the list. I will track down and watch as many of the others as I can.

Thanks
Allow me to add to this list:

Outrage, a film by Kirby Dick

This film examines the actions both private and public of ostensibly closeted gay politicians, among them Charlie Crist, James McGreevey, and Larry Craig, with a particular focus on their public proscription of homosexuality coexisting with their private activities which make one wonder more than a little about those proscriptions. It has been running on HBO and (I believe) will eventually be released on DVD.

Here's the trailer and official site:

http://www.outragethemovie.com/
Judgment Day -- Intelligent Design on Trial

This brilliant work by PBS's NOVA is worthy of inclusion in this collection of watchable documentaries. It reports and in some cases dramatizes the trial of Kitzmiller v. Dover and the hard fall that Intelligent Design took at the hands of science and evolution. It is available on multiple sites online, including:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-404729062613200911#

If you are a rationalist / atheist, you owe it to yourself to watch this excellent work.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service