Not long after Madam (our black cat with a white "star" on her chest) adopted us, my favorite neighbor boy wanted to meet her. He recoiled when he saw that she is black. It blew my mind that someone had poisoned this kid's mind against black cats! Since then, he realizes that whatever nonsense someone had filled his mind with is wrong. I've since found out that black cats in US shelters have a lower adoption rate, and are euthanized at much higher rates.

So, this brings me to Myth #1:

I. Black cats are not "bad luck, nor are they witches in disguise, nor will they steal a baby's breath, etc... (This myth is only applicable in some parts of the world, as black cats are considered "good luck" in other places).

Tags: cat myths

Views: 76

Replies to This Discussion

Damn! I think the cat just threw up on it.
The cat? I'm sure the others will be mortified to learn that they've been relegated to no status.
I was speaking generically, because I didn't see which one did it (and I don't want to blame the innocent ones). Sorta like "The dog ate my homework."
I'm responding here because I can't respond in the correct place. I'm sure Bast has a special place for you in the cat afterlife since you protect your cats' innocence.
Aren't you at least happy some of the time?
I get stereotypes about my Siamese cat. People think they are evil or crazy. Stupid Lady and the Tramp. I think the name Siamese is fitting because my girl Mila is stuck to me. She's in my lap right now. I'd say she's suicidally attached to me. Like Fatal Attraction attached.
When I took her to the vet the first time she didn't hide, she got in my lap, squished herself as close to me as she could get and hid her face in the crook of my elbow.
When I took her to the vet the first time she didn't hide, she got in my lap, squished herself as close to me as she could get and hid her face in the crook of my elbow.

Awww... poor kitteh!

I had not heard any stereotypes about Siamese cats, but then anyone who believed myths about cats wouldn't last very long as my friend, or they'd get majorly educated.

I think the name Siamese is fitting because my girl Mila is stuck to me. She's in my lap right now. I'd say she's suicidally attached to me. Like Fatal Attraction attached.

Chanda, this is hilarious. Ever thought about being a stand-up comic for cat people?
That makes me sad that black cats are euthanized at higher rates. Do they run the risk of being wiped out? Although they have a long history of persecution. I have always loved black cats and they'd be my first choice. I haven't been able to go to a shelter and adopt a cat, because cats have always come to me. Now I have 3: two were left behind when people moved away (one went from apartment to apartment in a complex...hence the name Gypsy) and our black cat was found hanging around a dumpster as a kitten.

It looks like the only luck black cats give is to themselves...it's harder for them to be seen at night time, and people still avoid them b/c of this stupid stupid stupid myth.

There are some people who especially like black cats, though. I'd think there are pretty many with all the goths and people like that. I was so happy when I called a free kittens ad and they said they had a black kitten. She was my first cat and the love of my life!
I don't know enough about genetics to know if black cats could be wiped out. I wouldn't doubt there are some scientists in the group that could answer that question.

I'm pretty sure there's at least one black cat rescue group. I'll go looking for that link when I have more time. We were adopted by a black cat with a tiny white star on her chest. Everything else about her is black, including her whiskers, paws, and nose. Oh, her tongue is pink, and her eyes yellow/green.
Cats when confused, fall back to the color black. I had a cat that was terrified of just about everything. He was a Siamese, Sky was his name. A typical brown, gold, black and white Siamese. I remember one night late, a knock came on our door asking for a telephone because they had just hit a deer out on the highway. We had two light bulbs and an ancient refrigerator...no phone. I simply told them to drive on and I would notify the sheriff who would come out, get the deer and donate it to a prison (laughter...fat chance) I went down to the highway in my 47 Dodge pickup with no windows and got that deer, depositing him on the living room floor like a great hunter. I picked up Sky (hiding in the bathroom) and threw him on the deer carcass. His legs went out straight and he wound up coiled on the deer's back, springing away with amazing alacrity and gymnastics exemplary...ran out the front door and disappeared under the house for 6 or 7 days. When he finally crawled out he was pure white hair all over. What an embarassed cat. We made fun of him all the time and he knew it. Well, we got a kitten and named it Ciggy. Ciggy loved machines and would hide in the grass when I cut the lawn or rototilled. Sky would come over and swat the hell out of him, running him off every time. When we went up to the neighbors the cats and the goat would follow us religiously and on the way back home the neighbors cat would pursue us attempting to lure one of us out of line for a fight. He attacked the young kitten and Sky jumped right in and defended the kitten. A few weeks later we were swimming at the river and of course, I always threw all the cats and the goat way out into the river...well the kitten got caught in a current and was trapped in some broken bushes. Sky hated water, but he jumped in and swam out to this kitten and extricated him from the brush, probably saving his life. Within weeks Sky was grey and by Christmas had turned completely black. So, good cats revert to black when the world becomes confused and dangerous. If anyone would like their cat to be black I would be glad to come out and live with you for a few months and put your cat through a regimen of fear and responsibility that would trigger this anomaly.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service