My elderly cat wouldn't eat today, not even baby food. Sorrow invades my mind. Here's an expression of my feelings.

Yes, it's scary as well as sad.

Views: 115

Replies to This Discussion

So hard, because these little creatures DO give us unmistakeable love. And it is so hard to lose someone (I include cats as "ones" not "things") that you love. My heart is with you. :-(

Exactly Natalie - pets are part of the family.
Ruth, I'm so sorry to hear the bad news. I went though that with my cat not too long ago. I empathize with your sorrow. I understand how hard going through this can be. But I'd like you to know that I am here for you if you need anything.
HUGS

Checking in on you Ruth! I'm here for you if you need me for anything.

And now, I have TWO cats that won't eat, and are getting bone thin. I'm consulting with the vet about both of them, and she can't figure out what's wrong, although it could be inflammation (high white cell count), or it could be lymphoma -- just a coincidence that they both are having similar symptoms, but I'm feeling rotten. These 2 are best friends, and very affectionate with me, too. So I'm spending a fortune to find out whether it's treatable or not, and keep telling myself that it's only money, and I don't have anyone else to spend it on, anyway.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I know you'll understand.

It's not hijacking, Natalie! I share your pain.

Natalie were you able to figure out the problem with your 2 cats?

Well, we figured it out, sort of with one of them, and it was not good news. Tule, my tall, handsome Chausie (1/8 wild Jungle Cat blood), turned out to have either a severe infection of the digestive system or lymphoma, so the vet decided to treat it as an infection -- if it went away, then no reason to test for lymphoma. It seemed to be working for a couple of weeks, but then he stopped eating again, and I took him in, and it turned out one of his kidneys was full of stones, and massively infected. The vet would have recommended surgery to remove the kidney in a healthy cat, but Tule also had a congenital hole in his heart, and 2 days after we discovered the kidney stones, he went into heart failure. If there had been no heart problems, we could have dealt with the kidney, and if there had been no kidney problems, we could have dealt with the heart failure, but it was a double whammy, even if the intestinal stuff HAD been merely an infection (never did the lymphoma test), and there was really no choice, so I had the doc give him meds (which his kidneys couldn't eliminate) to relieve his labored breathing so I could spend a little comfortable time with him, and then let him go. It was a miserably hard time for me -- you can guess that I cried my eyes out (still do), because he was my best friend for 10 years -- you rarely see such a laid-back, gentle, companionable and affectionate cat. But I know I spared him suffering -- he must have been in a lot of pain from the kidney, and heart failure is very uncomfortable too. I wish we could do for terminally suffering humans what we can do for animals.

As far as the other cat, Sammy, he's still hanging in there. I'm pilling him twice a day, and he hates it, but forgives me readily enough. We still don't know if it's lymphoma or an infection, but he's eating well enough. Still bony thin, but acting fairly normally for a 12 1/2 year old cat. Going to see the vet on the 23rd, to decide whether to do another sonogram, or whether to start tapering down on the meds to see if he'll recover. It's still up in the air, and I have to resign myself to the fact that I may lose him, too.

Meanwhile, a friend had a kitten who needed a home, and I took him in. He's about 10 months old, a chocolate Siamese household pet. He came from an "oops" litter in a home where the cats are being neglected -- my friend, who doesn't have a penny to her name, goes to the house to feed and water the cats and change the litter boxes, but they belong to someone in California who said she was going to move here but hasn't come in over 2 years. Meanwhile none of them are spayed or neutered, my friend can't afford to do it, nor does she have permission, and one of the males got out, and this kitten was the result. She asked me to take him, rather than leave him in that home that isn't a home, so I did. He's rambunctious, adorable, mischievous, and everything else you'd expect in a kitten, and Sammy has taken to "mothering" him, which is a good thing. I'm pretty sure Sammy misses Tule, so it's good for him to have another cat to bond to. And the kitten, Mongkut, shows every sign of growing up into an affectionate, sweet cat.

And I thank you and everyone here for being a cat-friendly support group. None of this Rainbow Bridge stuff, which, no matter how well-intentioned, is NOT comforting -- just the plain, honest acknowledgment that we care about our animals. THAT means a lot more to me!

Please see your overgrown kitten to a vet. When my Brat wouldn't eat or drink, it was too late for her. My heart goes out to you and your kitty, Ruth.

We did take her to the vet. Thanks. Misty died before the sun rose on Jan 1st. She's buried in the forest behind our house now. We look forward to adopting a pair, 5 and 3 year old females, who need a new home. We have a 2 1/2 hour drive each way to pick them up, Saturday. When they are relaxed here, I'll post photos.

My deepest condolences Ruth. Misty is no longer suffering. I'm happy to hear of your new family members. I look forward to seeing your new pet pictures.

Sorryto hear that, Ruth.  Poor Misty.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service