Cowpunk's choices made me wonder -- as an official "old" person what are your 10 favourite songs/tracks. Not albums, but single pieces. I sometimes wonder if age really has any bearing on what we like.

Tags: age, favourites, music

Views: 3

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, I've been leaving my own personal fav's out of the list because I'm a punker, and as my name clearly indicates, I really liked the "cowpunk" bands that evolved here in California.
Of course, I'm drawing a huge blank right now, but just add your requests on the music thread and I'll add them to the queue, and move different tunes, or sets of tunes to the top as ordered.
Oh yeah, thanks for refreshing my memories!
I in no way meant this thread as a criticism of your selections of music. Just in case you read it that way, I wanted you to know your name (the reference to your personal music taste) is what spurred my question.

I think music says something about the kind of people we are. For example, I listen to Respighi or Bach's Brandenburg Concerto's when I need a sense of order and comfort. If the discomfort I am feeling is particularly mental I will often listen to jazz. Now when you are feeling the same need for order and comfort I bet you listen to other things. I am interested in what they are - for you and for others.
No prob, I was just saying that I keep my own preferences off the player because nobody else is gonna like ithem, and still, I know that I'm biasing things to my tastes.
And yep, our player still says too much about me and not much about everyone else, I think, but I'm always ready to add what you request.
I, for one, would love to hear one of your favourites.
Honestly - I really am going to put some songs on this thread!
Can't embed this video but it is one of my favourite songs.
Do you mean all time favorite songs? Hmmm... that changes a lot. Ask me again tomorrow and I'll have switched to some other old fav.

Of course age has bearing on what we like. If we were 12 years old we'd like Hannah Montana. One of the first things I ask someone when I meet them is when they graduated high school because much of their world view crystallized in the culture of that year, both attitudes and musical tastes.

What I think would be more interesting is to get a sense of how tastes change over the years. People in this group have experienced 40 to 50 years of popular music. To get a snapshot of that I would want to know:

a. What were your three favorite songs/artists when you were 18 years old?

King Crimson "In the Court of the Crimson King"
Procol Harum "In Held Twas In I"
Pink Floyd "Saucer Full of Secrets"
(Those songs were not released when I was 18, but they were my favorites at that time).

b. What are your three favorite songs/artists of new music (acts currently active)?

Muse "Knights of Cydonia"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YygyHCRrKho
Sigur Ros "Untitled 8"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sJJNClTgVw&feature=related
Porcupine Tree "Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FoP3dJOUkw&feature=related

Come to think of it, my taste hasn't changed much. Lucky for some of us with similar taste, there are some newer acts performing in the style.
See the thing is that at 12 my 2 favourite songs were the Rising Sun Morning Chant and the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 9th. I didn't even hear Pink Floyd, Budgie (Parents was the first track of theirs I ever heard)or Robin Trower (gotta say Bridge of Sighs still counts as one of my favourites) until several years later when I went to boarding school. So I still really like stuff from my childhood, I have added stuff too (love Rammstein, for example.)
anything by Leonard Cohen, Casey Chambers, k d lang, melissa etheridge and tracey Chapman makes me happy
A little off-topic but useful...do you guys listen to Pandora on the internet? Disclaimer - I am in no way associated with Pandora or the Music Genome Project. It is the greatest thing ever to discover new music that (usually) matches you taste. Check it out here...
Can't access Pandora right now with an ISP outside the US. I used to listen all the time which is a pain in the ass. I like techno and some goth stuff and it can be hard to find a good source.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service