The "Prayer" discussion started by Vitomama made me think of this. What do you say when someone sneezes?

I have always said, "bless you" because it is polite, but I feel slightly odd saying it. Recently I started saying, "gesundheit" which is really just wishing someone good health, but I feel odd saying this, too as I am not German. I believe both became a custom during the 14th century because one of the symptoms of the bubonic plague was sneezing, so they are probably a little out of date, but I feel it is rude if I don't say anything.

Views: 1

Replies to This Discussion

Before I fully realized I was an Atheist, I fell into the "Bless you" response without thinking about it. For some time now I have been saying "Gesundheit", even though many around me may be saying 'bless you'/'god bless you'. I'm of Austrian descent, so I figure I've got a right to use 'gesundheit'.
Some at work, who know I'm an Atheist, will exaggerate (ie: "GOD...bless you") ...to which I will throw back some smart ass remark (ie: "Too late. The Tooth Fairy covered it.").
I find it easier to say salud which means the same thing as gesundheit.
I say nothing. I always say excuse me when I sneeze, as I would if I coughed, or let out some gas. I believe in being polite. Generally it is the person's, who made the bodily noise, job to be polite and excuse themselves, not the other way around. When someone says "bless you" to me, I say thank you. Unless you are prepared to start a heated debate, why be rude? If you look up the origin of saying "bless you", you will be quite surprised at it's superstitious beginnings.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Randall Smith commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
11 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
15 minutes ago
Pat commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
17 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
24 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
32 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Calla's group Nexus Book Club
35 minutes ago
Pat replied to Adam's discussion Political Ideology
37 minutes ago
Maria Vali posted photos
54 minutes ago
Andrew Bradford Hoke posted a status
"My blog on PASTAHCON 2014"
1 hour ago
Kambiz Nadri posted photos
2 hours ago
Grinning Cat replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Camo cats in the group Atheist Ailurophiles
2 hours ago
Kambiz Nadri commented on Kambiz Nadri's blog post Marrying young girls in Islam.
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service