This might be of interest, as the issue of activism is obviousy relevant to anti-theism.
I was recently irritated into activism, if only on a very mild level: after a number of random strangers tried to convert me to their beliefs in a short space of time, I decided to produce an ‘atheist pamphlet’ to exchange with these people in future (seems only fair that I should 'give them something to think about' in return). I had always wanted to do it (people who call to my house, interrupting my work and invading my privacy, irritate me especially), and I decided enough is enough - I'm fighting back. I want to demonstrate that theists are not the only ones who actively promote what they believe to be right. You can find my leaflet at http://atheistprinciples.tripod.com
Comments would be much appreciated.

Views: 8

Replies to This Discussion

Your "leaflet" is superb, Sigmund. I'd like to know if I could use it (include it for download) here in this group and also on my website (http://clubpyramid.net/falsegods/).

It also reminded me of another writing that may interest people in this group (and that I also need to include on my website), if you've not already read it ...

That which follows are short excerpts from Chapter 17 (Refuting God) in the book "Losing Faith In Faith: From Preacher To Atheist" by Dan Barker (see http://www.ffrf.org/legacy/books/lfif/)

"Where did it all come from? How can you explain the complex order of the universe? I can't believe the beauty of nature just happened by accident. Design requires a designer."

This argument merely assumes what it wishes to prove. Any attempt to "explain" anything requires a higher context within which it can be understood. To ask for the explanation of the "natural universe" is simply to demand a "higher universe."

The universe is "all there is." It is not a thing. A god would certainly be a part of "all there is," and if the universe requires an explanation, then god requires a god, ad infinitum.

The mind of a god would be at least as complex and orderly as the rest of nature and would be subject to the same question: Who made god? If a god can be thought eternal, then so can the universe.

There is design in the universe, but to speak of design of the universe is just theistic semantics. The perceived design in nature is not necessarily intelligent. Life is the result of the mindless "design" of natural selection. Order in the cosmos comes from the "design" of natural regularity. There is no need for a higher explanation.

The design argument is based on ignorance, not facts. Failure to solve a natural riddle does not mean there is no answer. For millennia humans have created mythical answers to "mysteries" such as thunder and fertility. But the more we learn, the fewer gods we need. God belief is just answering a mystery with a mystery, and therefore answers nothing.

-------------

"Millions of people personally know God through an inner spiritual experience."

Most theists claim their particular god can be known through meditation or prayer, but such experiences point to nothing outside the mind. Mysticism can be explained psychologically; it is not necessary to complicate our understanding of the universe with fanciful assumptions. We do know that many humans habitually invent myths, hear voices, hallucinate and talk with imaginary friends. We do not know there is a god.

There are millions of god-believers; but this is a statement about humanity, not about god. Truth is not something which is attained by vote. Religions arose to deal with death, weakness, dreams, and fear of the unknown. They are powerful mechanisms for giving meaning to life and personal/cultural identity. But religions differ radically, and appeals to inner experience only worsen the conflict.

-------------

"We all have a feeling of right and wrong, a conscience which puts us under a higher law. This universal moral urge points outside of humanity. It is consistent that God, a nonphysical being, would relate to us by such sublime means."

Here is another argument based on ignorance. Ethical systems are based on the worth humans have assigned to life: "good" is that which enhances life, and "evil" is that which threatens it. We do not need a deity to tell us it is wrong to kill, lie or steal. Humans have always had the potential to use their minds to determine what is kind and reasonable.

There is no "universal moral urge" and not all ethical systems agree. Polygamy, human sacrifice, cannibalism (Eucharist), wife beating, self mutilation, war, circumcision, castration and incest are perfectly "moral" actions in certain cultures. Is god confused?

To call god a "nonphysical being" is contradictory. A being must exist as some form of mass in space and time. Values reside within physical brains, so if morality points to "god," then we are it: the god concept is just a projection of human ideals.
Hi Zarta,
Thanks for the supportive message.
Yes, please feel free to post the link - the more people see it, the better. Ideally I want ot reach people who aren't particularly interested in atheism, but are annoyed by door-to-door cult types...
Hi Sigmund ...
Your PDF has been added to our group for viewing/download.
Perhaps it would be a good idea for everyone to have one or more copies printed and ready to give to those we encounter who would attempt to convince us to join their delusion.
Thanks, Sigmund, for your work -- and activism.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service