If I have this correct: No angry militant anti theistic ranting, take a firm stance anti superstition. I can do that.

Views: 12

Replies to This Discussion

Is this the same as the former President Teddy Roosevelt's quote,"Speak softly and carry a big stick"?
Our soft speech is reason and our big stick is rationality maybe?
That is where I was going with this.
yes, but also digging into our several cultural pasts to repossess our own legacies that can present meaning and continuity to our lives. It's also important to say that there is an appropriate time and place to take stock of threats and come up with a strategy to counteract them, it's just that this should not be the core of our communion with one another.
As evolved humans we should be above beating each other with sticks, but alas...

So digging into our cultural pasts to repossess our own legacies: I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but could you give me an example? I seek to get my knowledge on (I say that ironically because I hate the whole "Get your ________ on" it's gotten out of hand.)
" Yes, but also digging into our several cultural pasts to repossess our own legacies that can present meaning and continuity to our lives".

For give me, but this sound's New Age like. What's the difference? What is it that you mean by our own legacies and several cultural pasts? Are you also suggesting that in the symposium of ideas that there is an "appropriate time and place" for intellectual exchanges of one position or the other and that this group is exclusively for "communion"?
I just (almost) finished an audio book that describes the cultural legacy concerning God. Quite an interesting book, I was on the last chapter when the license from the local library expired.

It was written by Karen Armstrong; "The Case for God" really got me thinking about how we used to think about things on this planet. The book was basically an argument to allow for metaphor in our life and to not confuse metaphor with facts.

I highly recommend it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service