What do you list under religious preference when asked to select from a list?

When registering for a test at the hospital, the woman asked for my religious preference. I asked if there was "atheist" (she was selecting on a list in her computer). The woman said not and laughed like she'd never heard of such a thing. Then trying to be helpful she said, "We do have Pagan." I said that's not the same thing. I asked if she had humanist. She said, "No, but we have Wiccan" (which she mispronounced). I said, "No." She said that she could put "unknown." Just annoying. I realize that atheism isn't a religion, but there must be something better to list under religious preference. If for no other reason, I want to stop people from coming in to try to pray with me (which happened in the hospital when I had my daughter). 

Tags: atheism, hospital, preference, religion, religious

Views: 476

Replies to This Discussion

Try Non-Theist.

Not a religion but it works!  How about the Religion of Reality!!!  Ha, Ha...!!

I would have asked her to put Secular Humanist or Atheist in her list. Then, there's always Pastafarian.

Legal for drivers license photos in some countries! :)

The last couple of times my father was hospitalized, he was simply asked whether or not he wanted a chaplain to visit, or any pastoral services. He said no, and that was that. (I presume a yes answer would have elicited the question of religious preference.)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service