So I like posting pictures and quotes about Atheism on my Facebook. A Christan friend of mine replied with this.

The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday
Morning Commentary.

My confession:

I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does
not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up,
bejeweled trees, Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel
discriminated against. That's what they are, Christmas trees.

It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, 'Merry Christmas' to me. I
don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto.
In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and
sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all
that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my
beach house in Malibu . If people want a creche, it's just as fine with
me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think
Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think
people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around,
period. I have no idea where the concept came from, that America is an
explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I
don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we
should worship celebrities and we aren't allowed to worship God as we
understand Him? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But
there are a lot of us who are wondering where these celebrities came from
and where the America we knew went to.

In light of the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a
little different: This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's
intended to get you thinking.

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson
asked her 'How could God let something like this happen?' (regarding
Hurricane Katrina). Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful
response. She said, 'I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we
are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to
get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the
gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out How can we expect God
to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us
alone?'

In light of recent events... terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I
think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body
found a few years ago) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools,
and we said OK. Then someone said you better not read the Bible in
school. The Bible says thou shalt not kill; thou shalt not steal, and
love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they
misbehave, because their little personalities would be warped and we might
damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an
expert should know what he's talking about. And we said okay.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they
don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill
strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out.
I think it has a great deal to do with 'WE REAP WHAT WE SOW.'

Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the
world's going to hell. Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but
question what the Bible says. Funny how you can send 'jokes' through
e-mail and they spread like wildfire, but when you start sending messages
regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing. Funny how lewd,
crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyberspace, but
public discussion of God is suppressed in the school and workplace.

Are you laughing yet?

Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on
your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they
will think of you for sending it.

Funny how we can be more worried about what other people think of us than
what God thinks of us.

Pass it on if you think it has merit.

If not, then just discard it.... no one will know you did. But, if you
discard this thought process, don't sit back and complain about what bad
shape the world is in.

My Best Regards, Honestly and respectfully,

Ben Stein

Then she posted : Be careful what you wish for

I replied with this:

The following was written by Cassandra Williamson.

I love Christmas to, even though I am an atheist, I feel happy and warm and I love being with my familly.

I don’t like being pushed around as an Atheist, and I do believe that Christians get pushed around to, I don’t approve of religion bashing, and I just simply say what I believe. Why do Christians get to quote scripture all the time and I don’t do anything, but when I say there is no god I’m pushing religious people around?

I never heard that America was an Atheist country, I’ve allways herd that this was a Christain nation, when it is neither. This is a nation with freedom of religion.

I think it is disgusting that people "worship" celebrities, I might admire some for doing good work but as an Atheist I don’t "worship" anything!

Hurricane Katrina was a NATURAL disaster, we couldn’t stop it and if god was so good and loving he would have. And yes people did want religion out of schools and government b/c there is a separation from church and state! (Which I am a proud supporter of.)

The bible does say all that and they are great moral teachings, but we don’t need god to be a moral people. And might I add the bible also says that if a woman is not a virgin on her wedding night, if a man is gay or if a kid disobeys there parents than we should all stone them to death. So sure right, lets have that in our schools. Trade in the guns and knifes for stones!

Thou shalt not kill . Madeleine Murray O'Hare was MURDERED.

Again I’m sorry if me saying what I believe hurts your feelings, but how do u think I feel when I have to hear you quote the bible?

My Best Regards, Honestly and respectfully and Originally,

Cassandra Williamson

did i do the right thing? what would u have said?

Views: 71

Replies to This Discussion

My friend, John, posted that same stupid thing on his facebook. I never replied. After the first couple of paragraphs I was kinda peeved. Christmas trees aren't actually Christmas trees and if any Christian read their bible, they would know any Holiday tree was an abomination. I try to hold my tongue when dealing with hypocrites.

You are ballsier than I am. :) And your response was very well said. It's always better to put what you feel out there, than to regret not saying anything. Trust me.
I love the Christian persecution complex.
I would have said Ben Stein is an idiot and for her to mind her own businesss. You were much too nice.
Before, I just wasn't interested in Ben Stein. Now I just plain don't like him.

Of course you did the right thing, that original post was a bunch of nonsense, and you spoke your [rational] mind. No law against that. In fact, I think there's something called a "Constitutional Law" that encourages that sort of thing.
i believe you handled the situation correctly it is a usually better to to handle close friends and family with compassion, unless you are being threatened or bullied. sometimes the religious want a debate give it to them never let them win , you are on the winning side afterall. the bible/quran are both evil books that have been and are still being used to justify many atrocities and crimes against humanity as well as crimes against the planet. so be easy on your self there are many things you could have said to this friend but you didn't you responded with compassion. one more thing i would like to say. The religious must first prove that there is a god, then after they prove there is god they must then prove he actually wrote a book but which book what religion is the true religion. The religious have not even proven that there is a god and they never will.
I love it when people equate their notion of moral decay with gods punishing wrath. The idea that since we no longer wish to foist christianity off on all children in school, Katrina was allowed to happen..... Are you kidding me? How does that fit with their own scriptures.
I am also absolutely in love with the notion that christians are kicked around. Right. sure. They have such an impact in society that they can swing presidential elections and have bible scenes in every town square at Christmas. Schools are shutdown on religious days. Politicians have prayer breakfasts, swear on a bible during oaths and use biblical references in order to defend positions on laws.

Who do they think they are kidding with this self portrayal of victimization? They claim they are being kicked around anytime anyone wants to create some balance and equity. Its crap.
I have many of the same issues on Facebook. And I've told my Christian, Jewish and Muslim friends not to look at my "religious posts" if they offend them. I am after all just using my freedom of speech and expression that they claim as a "God-given" right.

Most understand...even the most pious of people...but I've butted quite a few heads and I find that when I look for an answer to a religious question I have, they stay away. I'm not afraid to engage people in challenging their beliefs and they are not afraid to try to get me to "see it their way"...but usually don't reply once I've made a point or "corner them with logic and reason".

(And I agree with Trevor too...It bugs me to see people port and report things without researching them. But just believing what you want to suit your purpose is kind of what religion is all about...so it makes sense that the non-theists would investigate even web postings more, for authenticity)
So I found this place...I still am on Facebook now...and have even posted stuff from here on there...

You did the right thing. If people are our friends and not just cyber-avatars, they will accept us for who we are and what we believe. If we, as non-theists, ostracized every one who believed in God we wouldn't get very far since it seems 85% of this planet has some variation of a theist belief.
that rocks, Princess, well done!
*applause* You said it better than I could have. Don't worry about it. You were just defending your views. The very letter was meant to make you feel guilty about what you believe (which is under-handed of her to say the least).
Cassandra, you wrote clearly, precisely, honestly and with conviction about your thoughts, feelings and beliefs. What more can one ask of another. Did you do the right thing? ABSOLUTELY!

and I would add, if a person believes in natural spirituality, a positive regard for nature and its processes, then he/she would be responsible and accountable for attitudes and behaviors. How can we look at a healthy person and not be in awe; how can we be in a healthy forest and not be filled with wonder; how can we look at the night sky and not see order and be full of awe? We yield too often to the fictions of fables and stories told verbally over countless years before they became written. Politics and religion need careful tending lest they become propaganda to benefit the few and sacrifices of the many.
I think it was awesome. Good for you!
I never respond to this type of thing anymore unless the person is under 15 years of age. Otherwise, it's a waste of time.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

booklover commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
9 minutes ago
Deidre replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
26 minutes ago
Daniel W replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Gardening in central Texas "pan" soil in the group Godless in the garden
33 minutes ago
33 minutes ago
Leon Gretsky replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
35 minutes ago
Deidre posted a status
"Happy holidays to all of you here! :)"
38 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
43 minutes ago
43 minutes ago
Leon Gretsky replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
44 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Ivy's group Atheist Humor
45 minutes ago
Daniel W commented on Ivy's group Atheist Humor
49 minutes ago
Dr. Terence Meaden liked Marie Walewska's discussion God is great
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service