There has been some concern in the Atheist News group as to the strategy of the American Atheists Association displaying confrontational Atheist billboards in North Carolina at the time of the Democratic Convention there. My perspective of the matter was set forth as follows:

I think the timing of the ads has been very ill chosen unless they are also going to suggest a way to reduce the unemployment rate. In my opinion people really don't care what religion which candidate is right now. They care about which candidate is going to do the most for them in terms of providing financial security. In my opinion the ads will amount to Atheism leading with its chin to be knocked out by theists and fence sitters who will claim that rather than addressing the very serious economic problems that should be getting all but exclusive consideration they are serving as no more than irritating distractions that pull focus off of meaningful solutions regarding who gets what in terms of economical accommodation. Simply put, I think the ads will demonstrate a lack of couth on the part of Atheism that will turn a lot of people off to It. Atheism should not be doing counterproductive things much less spending money on them. If It doesn't come off as something good and nice it is my opinion that it will never prevail because people will be too reluctant to be labeled villains. 

Others in the discussion tended to feel that the timing of the ads was inappropriate and that the ads, otherwise, tended to be too harsh to be mind opening. The purpose of this post is to open a debate on the matter.  

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/13/first-on-cnn-atheist-group...

Tags: Billboards, Jubinsky

Views: 76

Replies to This Discussion

I could not agree more that these billboard ad campaigns. "Uncouth" as you put it perfectly summarized it. Not an effective way to deliver a pro-atheism message or make people seriously ponder the beleifs that have been drilled into their heads. These ads seem taunting and petty. In fact, they seem to reinforce what a believer is told about atheists.

Give the religious some credit, they know the dog and pony show and how to hack the rational side of the brain and appeal straight to emotion.

The tweets coming out of American Atheist about the billboards are not helping either.

Yeah I don't think these billboards reflect Atheist on a positive note. It does make us look petty.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Neanderthal Man replied to Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Le Pape: Ma vie masturbatoire in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
9 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man replied to Marie Walewska's discussion Egyptian TV Host Kicks Guest Out of Studio for Expressing Controversial Ideas on Religion in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
46 minutes ago
Luara replied to Russell Pangborn's discussion People Generally Don't Like Whistle Blowers
52 minutes ago
sk8eycat replied to Pat's discussion Catholic Church Welcomes LGBTQI - NAW! Just Kidding, Suckers. We Still Loathe You! in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
Loren Miller replied to Deidre's discussion What are u listening to?
1 hour ago
Michael Penn replied to Russell Pangborn's discussion People Generally Don't Like Whistle Blowers
1 hour ago
Neanderthal Man replied to Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Viking Trance in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
1 hour ago
Neanderthal Man replied to Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Viking Trance in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
1 hour ago
Lemual Poot posted a photo
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
Kacie Tsao commented on Kacie Tsao's blog post Religion is somehow different… (a meandering ramble about linguistics, atheism, and weird cognitive biases)
2 hours ago
Michael Penn replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Mississippi Group Seeks to Declare Christianity as State Religion
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service