I'm trying to decide which QRP HF band to use 20m or 17m. Which one is less religious? Heard that 17m was more classy, but a 17m antenna wont match other bands. Or should I build a quad or yagi and avoid USA/south and work east west

Views: 50

Replies to This Discussion

I don't much care for 20, simply because it is a lot more cliquish, and there are no contesting on 17m to get in the way.  As for the religiosity component, it's bad everywhere.  I don't think there's much difference in that regard, but the relative pleasantness with which I am treated on 17, compared to 20 means that it wins hands down.

I am also a PSK enthusiast, and while the cliquishness is less a problem on that mode, the religiosity is just as ubiquitous - invariably, the signoff is 73 and God Bless.   I loved it when one guy signed off with me recently, with "May the Flying Spaghetti Monster touch you with His Noodly Appendage!"

I've been hit with the evangelizing message so many times: "If you hear the call of Jesus, be sure to answer it, because He's been waiting to hear from you."  So I wrote up a response macro: "If you hear the call of Anubis, be sure to answer it.  He's just dying to hear from you!"  I've used it a couple of times, but I doubt the cretins are educated enough to know that Anubis was the Egyptian god of the dead.  I'll let them look it up.

Like Mr. Bidstrup, I think it so pervasive that it is difficult to get away from.  I am on 80 most of the time and the traffic and public service nets seem to be structured enough that overt religiosity is rarely seen. I hate the gratuitous insertion of religion (of any type)into conversation.  I had a bout with cancer earlier this year and found the "I'll keep you in my prayers" more irritating than radiation and chemo and much less helpful.

I would first like to say THANK YOU to the founder of this group.  I hope it grows. 

17 meters is the best frequency for SSB; 30 meters (sometimes 12) is the best for CW (which really means it's the best overall frequency.)  Stick to the WARC bands and leave 20 meters to the contesters.  I have a nice 17 meter dipole I cut for 18.110 up 18 feet, oriented east - west, and I get fantastic results with 100 watts.

Orient your 17 meter dipole east west, up about 17 feet.  Mine works like a charm.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service