Why do you think a hobby so rooted in technology is such a hot bed for Christianity? You can't look up HF nets without getting 100 or so hits for these people. That, or the hate groups that seem to love hanging out on 80 meters.

Tags: Amateur, HF, Radio, christian, nets

Views: 171

Replies to This Discussion

Well, after you're dead, there's always this: http://www.lifegem.com/
Darrin wrote:

It's rare to find a religious blowhard there, and I've never understood why. Perhaps being able to use a computer+radio combo is too difficult for them? I think it ties back to old people and religion though...

...Well, I have been quite active on PSK, and I do encounter them there from time to time. I occasionally see a signoff macro that says "If you hear the call of Jesus, be sure to answer it. He's been waiting to hear from you." But I have one of my own - when I get that one, I reply with this: "If you hear the call of Osiris, be sure to answer it. He's just dying to hear from you." Most don't know who Osiris was, but the few who do understand usually get a laugh - and get the message - I'm not on the ham bands to be preached at. As if I hadn't heard "the call of Jesus" all my friggin' life, over and over and over again.

I've met folks who, as age dragged them more deeply into less than commodious living, decided that there couldn't be a divine hand so mean as to make someone go through all the decay & degradation. And I knew of one RC priest who, as cancer took him out, became depressed, despite a life spent in the faith of eternity with his lord and saviour. Thus I am not sure about the correlation between age & resurgence of faith.

As for disbelievers on the air, I know of plenty. 3675 every Friday, 10pm Ohio time. We don't discuss belief as a constant thread. We get on the air and boggle each other around, just as we've been doing for the past 40 years and some.

And yes, we have made our enemies (or maybe opponents). That's why we all ended up in Extree land. Too easy to find in the General sections of the RFS. But since it isn't a group that discusses why & how many or which and whenever, we don't get noticed much. Interesting version of fellowship, however. Something like the letters section of the FFRF's "Freethought Today" quasi-monthly.

You don't end up feelin' alone. Not that my recent experience after coming out arms wavin' and feet a-stompin' has proven how few of us there are. (Good place for the subjunctive, that one . . .) Just discovering this group & its foundation on the web speaks to that one.

3s

Nils/W8IJN

Hmmm..... 3675 at 10PM Central... Too bad it is so late at night. I'd love to check in, but I am usually in bed cutting Zs long since by then.

Otherwise, I am at a quandary as to why to even bother putting up a decent antenna for 80m, when the only people I am going to talk to on it are a bunch of reactionary bigots that leave me embarrassed to be a gringo ham in Latin America.

If there is any other good reason to put up an 80m antenna, (other than maybe working DX) I'd sure like to hear about it.

TI3/W7RI

Funny you say that (abt putting up a 80m antoona). Good conditions we have had some back-and-forths with some Spanish-speaking guys show up on the frequency. Really good conditions and I think we're listening to Indonesian-speaking fishing boat pirates or something. (Spanish is easy. Indonesian, that one I know only "about." 600 some Austronesian languages. And Tok Pisin, which I really would love to QSO in some day. Doubt there are many hams in PNG who speak it.)

Same-same I'm not too sure 80m would be clear in the Tropics. We're starting to get the lightning noises up here already, so summer is out there somewhere lurking. Maybe. We gotta get through March first. And Dayton.

If and when anyone gets real gutsy about a "net," I'd be up for that, although I am well past the point of philosphizing about it or getting into pompous preachments. Comparing the Book of Mormon to Oahspe might be fun for a couple rounds. Then we'd have to go back to Isis and Mithras and all them star-changin' guys. What a hoot. Edge of the 21st Century and we're still runnin' around waitin' for some hero savior myth character to come square the world the way Glenn Beck thinks it otter be. Boggle-boggle.

Nils

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service